Englander 17vl fire pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpm44

Jul 16, 2009
WNY
Thought I'd try and post a few pics of the finished install.

Fire shots are during the break-in fires. So far I'm very pleased with Corie's design and it should be the perfect supplement to the Revere when its really cold here.
Pumps out a surprising amount of heat given it's small size. I put the "T" on top of the stove for ease of cleaning with a Soot-Eater without having to remove the baffle board. Just a personal choice I thought I'd try out - at first I thought the look of it there might bug me since it wasn't totally "clean", but I actually don't even notice it now that I've looked at it for a while, so I'm glad I did it.

I also added a lip to the ash lip to keep ashes from spilling off, painted my spring handles black, and added a Lopi blower and snap disc (mine didn't come with a free blower) that were my spare from a previous stove at our old house. Mrs. Jpr says I can't ever leave anything alone... Maybe I'll re-designate it a 17vl-SE (for Special Edition)

Happy Burning!
IMG_0343.jpg IMG_0331.jpg IMG_0322.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet setup.nice job!

Getting chilly out there? Over here in PA we are no where near burning temps. Plenty of rain.

Thanks for the compliments guys. 50's and rain warranted some warmth to take the chill and damp out.
The hearth came out just as I was hoping it would, and was well worth the effort.

That looks really sweet :) I had my eye on that stove :)

I like the look of it. I hope to see a larger version, some time.

Cute little guy. Great looking hearth pad.

pen

Yeah the F100 Jotul has now lost the title of best view of the fire with a shoe box size firebox.

Sometimes ya just don't need a twelve hour burn. Sometimes ya just need a little heat and a great fire to look at.

First time I've noticed an asymmetrical hearth pad. It looks great...I'm jealous!

The window really is big for such a small stove - really let's you see the light show when the secondaries are kicking BB.
I had been hoping the asymmetrical hearth pad would mesh with the design of the stove. I'm glad you all like the look as well. You're a great group to hang out with.

I really think that this stove would be a viable seller in a larger size - there is something about it that really appeals to me.

The elevation of the firebox is just flat cool. With a similar sized stove like the F100 you have to be laying on the floor on your side to get a view like that.

And for other European designs like that you have to mortgage your house again.

Nice clean installation, I really like the hearth too. Good to hear that you are enjoying the stove. I've liked this baby since the moment it was born.

I still have it's "born on" thread bookmarked. Kinda cool to know a bit about Corie, his background and certainly, I'm sure how much effort he put into this baby.

Nice looking stove and hearth.

My Dad has a small shop he tools around in and we have suggested he use the 17vl for it.

Good luck,
Bill

That looks great!

Leeave96- i bet one of these would work great for him. Another member - Rob48 I think - has one in his shop and really seems to like it. He did a nice thread on it last season.

joecool85 - I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Jeepers! ;-P

That looks like a really professional looking setting. The stove itself looks great to begin with, but you covered every detail! From the tile on the hearth to the hearth extension to accomodate the log rack! It looks absolutely like an A class instal from floor to ceiling. Jp, just wondering, what's on the wall behind the stove?

VCBurner said:
Jeepers! ;-P

That looks like a really professional looking setting. The stove itself looks great to begin with, but you covered every detail! From the tile on the hearth to the hearth extension to accomodate the log rack! It looks absolutely like an A class instal from floor to ceiling. Jp, just wondering, what's on the wall behind the stove?

I agree, it looks awesome. I doubt ours will be quite as professional looking, but it should come out ok. I'll share results regardless :)

The wall behind the stove is just painted drywall - I just did a different color behind the stove area. It is called "Almost Charcoal" which I thought was particularly fitting. The pics make the clearance look close but I actually have more room than needed by a couple inches, which was driven by the spacing of the rafters. I couldn't justify cutting and boxing and all that extra work just to get the stove really tight to the wall when I had plenty of room to work with in front of it.

Mrs.Jpr was happy with the assymetrical hearth which maintained the traffic pattern to get to her craft/workout room without getting stubbed toes.

That's a fine looking install, and I really love the hearth pad. Good work all around!

Thank you to all for the compliments!

The hearth really wasn't too hard to do - mostly a lot of measuring and lay-out so that the grout line for the slate would line up with the centerline of the stove, and the metal angle iron frame containing it would match to that as well. Installing the layers of plywood, durock, slate and grouting were easy enough and doing it ourselves really saved quite a bit of money.

Besides, how could I have left the spare double-wall, the class A, the chimney cap and roof support and blower just sit in the garage when I could install this little gem and not work the Lopi as hard? Mrs. Jpr thinks I have a problem, but how many addictions, er, I mean hobbies are this productive, rewarding and save on your utilities too?

I hear you Jeeps,

My wife thinks I have a problem too. My problem paid dividends when we moved and I sold the 4 stoves I had in the house. The extra money came in handy during the move and we got a new set of front loading washer/dryer out of them too! Not to mention all the money we saved from burning wood over the past few years. All in all good thing to be obsessed with I think!

Beautiful job...Mrs Jeeps must be proud....
hey we have the same tile around our stove too...I love that tile...actually I guess the proper term is slate eh?
No matter what ya call it....
job well done! :) I am diggin it...

Thanks Gamma - yes she is, but I'm the lucky one- she's one in a million! :)

We picked out that slate for the hearth the instant we saw it. Loved the texture and color variations.

Bet you can't wait for that new 30! Have fun in Vt. - sounds like a good time!

Really nice looking install. You just have to give Englander credit for the simple and honest designs of their stoves. I would love to build a man cave with one of these stoves...

Status
Not open for further replies.