Englander 25-PDV Room Heat Output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I have been testing this Englander 25-PDV heat output.

With the stove set to d Program Mode and the Bottom 3 Buttons on 6-6-1
It has a 250 CFM Room Blower so that is alot of hot air blasting!

The digital hight temp probe thermometer measures:

Heat_Level__Room_Fan____Temp_Deg_F
____1___________1__________130
____9 __________ 9__________165

Does anyone else measure similar results?
See Pics Below

Attachments

• IMG02256-20120327-2219.jpg
    IMG02256-20120327-2219.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG02255-20120327-2219.jpg
    IMG02255-20120327-2219.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG02257-20120327-2222.jpg
    IMG02257-20120327-2222.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG02258-20120327-2234.jpg
    IMG02258-20120327-2234.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 330
I assume you know that the left side blows out significantly hotter air .

I use mine in the rear workshop garage and I changed it over to mode c. It burns so much hotter (more pellets) but heats the space faster from a cold start and connected to a thermostat it works great. It seems to burn just as clean too.

I use mine in the rear workshop garage and I changed it over to mode c. It burns so much hotter (more pellets) but heats the space faster from a cold start and connected to a thermostat it works great. It seems to burn just as clean too.

The factor setting for this Manufacturer's Date is Program d and the lower 3 buttons set to 5 - 9 - 1

Using program c for more heat is a good idea! Mine is in a smaller space so d works fine for now.

I assume you know that the left side blows out significantly hotter air .

No I did not know that. I stuck the probe in the middle hole.

Why does the left side blow hotter air?

It`s closer to where the hot air exits the heat exchanger.

The factor setting for this Manufacturer's Date is Program d and the lower 3 buttons set to 5 - 9 - 1

Using program c for more heat is a good idea! Mine is in a smaller space so d works fine for now.

Don. Master Chief has a PDVC , not a PDV like yours. So watch what you do with the settings. If it states to use D, then use D.

Also, how long were you running on 9-9? In order to have an accurate reading of what temp that setting gives, the stove should be ran there for a minimum of 30-45 minutes to completely heat the stove up and let the temp settle in.

Seems the air temp should be Much higher than that on 9-9.

Don. Master Chief has a PDVC , not a PDV like yours. So watch what you do with the settings. If it states to use D, then use D.

Also, how long were you running on 9-9? In order to have an accurate reading of what temp that setting gives, the stove should be ran there for a minimum of 30-45 minutes to completely heat the stove up and let the temp settle in.

More like 3 or 4 hours.

More like 3 or 4 hours.

Guess I should have been more specific. Going from one heat level (say 5) to another (in this case, 9).

Within 45 minutes, the temp will plateau. From a Cold start it may take longer. But some stoves do heat up faster than others. My Quad heats up like a Rocket. While the Englander and Fahrenheit take a little longer. But none of them take 3 hrs. Maybe an Hour. At best.

Hi Dexter
I do have the larger 25-PDV (375 lbs with the side grates!) actually it is the 55-SHP22L from Lowes because it has the Nickel Trim. The Nickel Trim looks like the only difference.

Yes, Dexter I only had it on 9 - 9 for 15 mins. I was not sure if running full bore for a while was OK. I did smell a funny burning smell.

I will leave it on the d Program Mode but good to know if I need more heat to try c since it is easy to do.

Attachments

• IMG02254-20120327-1753.jpg
    IMG02254-20120327-1753.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 337
  • 25-PDV.jpg
    25-PDV.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 410
I would consult with Mike before changing programs to C. The stove is meant to be burned on D and the only adjustment made, should be fine tuning with the bottom 3 buttons.

To get a true temp reading, you need to burn longer than 15 min. That smell is just the stove burning in again. It probably has not seen heat setting that high in awhile. So all the oils and dust will have to heat up and burn the stink off.

Its Safe to burn that unit on 9-9 for an hour to see what its got. In the manual, it says to run the unit on 9-9 if using a stat (IIRC) this isnt a unit that needs to be babied. When I run mine, Its normally Full Bore. And mine is almost 17 yrs old. I have a pretty large area to heat with it. 50 x 25 insulated o.k. to todays standards. But still has leaks and drafts out the A$$.

Cant you hook it to a stat? Yours should have that option?? No?

(Edit: I am not recommending that you run the stove on 9-9 all the time, nor when its on the stat. Just stating that an hour wont hurt at that setting. I dont like to run anything Wide Open for to long.)

OK, Don and Dexter are right. I should have clarified my above post. You shouldn`t change the heat mode from it`s factory setting. I got the Ok from a tech at Englanders. My stove is in a shop where the heat is off all night and I need maximum heat output ASAP in the morning. My apologies for not being more clear on this.

OK, Don and Dexter are right. I should have clarified my above post. You shouldn`t change the heat mode from it`s factory setting. I got the Ok from a tech at Englanders. My stove is in a shop where the heat is off all night and I need maximum heat output ASAP in the morning. My apologies for not being more clear on this.

Thats fine, I understand. I have mine in the shed/workshop. So if I want better startup heat on a very cold morning, then I could switch to c program. It is a good idea. Thanks Alot!!

Thats fine, I understand. I have mine in the shed/workshop. So if I want better startup heat on a very cold morning, then I could switch to c program. It is a good idea. Thanks Alot!!

I would still ask... C mode may be LESS BENEFICIAL to you and your year and model stove.....

They are not the same. So knowing what will happen when you change Programs is Crucial. Bad things happen when people just change settings and programs all Willy Nilly. It may Decrease your heat output?? If you dont know. Don't try it.

Just sayin. Do what you want. But Mike is a member here and there # can be called. Just doing it on your own???? Not Good.

Even Master Chief admitted to that.
Ok....... I should have clarified my above post. You shouldn`t change the heat mode from it`s factory setting. I got the Ok from a tech at Englanders.....

He got the O.K.... You post more stories about Pellet stove Fires than anyone. Why not be sure and safe???

the PDV unit CAN handle the C mode, its fine to do so, will not burn as clean nor as efficient but she will run hotter in that mode. the units "overfire protection" will prevent any damage to the unit is it does get rambunctious in the C mode though in a well maintained PROPERLY CLEANED unit this should not be a factor

the PDV unit CAN handle the C mode, its fine to do so, will not burn as clean nor as efficient but she will run hotter in that mode. the units "overfire protection" will prevent any damage to the unit is it does get rambunctious in the C mode though in a well maintained PROPERLY CLEANED unit this should not be a factor

And there you have it..

Doing so, knowing what happens. Is much better than knowing what may not happen...

Now you have a definitive answer Don. Sorry to sound like an A$$. But Safety is ALWAYS #1 HERE.

Reactions: smoke show
But none of them take 3 hrs. Maybe an Hour. At best.

The 25-pdv I have puts out the most heat when there is a mound of burning embers on top of the burnpot. I cannot get temps above 200+ unless this happens. This usually takes 3 to 4 hours. There are other folks in the Caribou area that have 25-pdv's and their stoves need the same amount of time to get up to temp. Oh, and we all burn in C mode.

The 25-pdv I have puts out the most heat when there is a mound of burning embers on top of the burnpot. I cannot get temps above 200+ unless this happens. This usually takes 3 to 4 hours. There are other folks in the Caribou area that have 25-pdv's and their stoves need the same amount of time to get up to temp. Oh, and we all burn in C mode.

Cool
Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.