Englander 25-PDVC outside intake via chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toonces

Nov 7, 2011
Farmington Valley, CT
the Englander 25-PDVC is one of the stoves i'm interested in but, reading the instructions, it says that outside aur intake is necessary. i emailed their tech support and was told i could vent through the chimney. i asked if there was a diagram/instructions that show how to do this without punching a hole in my fireplace but i got no answer. i assume the basement install is what the tech was talking about. any ideas or suggestions for budget stoves that don't require outside intake and can go in my fireplace? thanks for the help.

toonces said:
......any ideas or suggestions for budget stoves that don't require outside intake and can go in my fireplace?.....

I think you'll find that most people on this forum advocate the use of an OAK on ALL pellet stoves.

Interesting question. How do they recommend an OAK for the EP insert?

i'm not too savvy on the terminology, but i think 'OAK' is short for outside air intake? and as far as going in the fireplace... i'm thinking a hole in the brick would be the only way in my case.

i think i'm leaning more towards a wood stove at this point pending chimney inspection. there will be no shortage of free wood for next season and i can spend all winter cutting as long as my arms and back will hold up. free fuel and free exercise. win win.

depending on the height of the chimney and diameter of the flue it may be run up the flue in tandem with the exhaust. the intake would definately have to be 3 inch instead of the standard 2 inch due to the length of the run and obviously the flue would have to be big enough to get both the intake pipe and the flex liner for the flue inside of it

Status
Not open for further replies.