Englander 25 PUF

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
My son has a chance to buy an Englander 25 PUF for about $800. It is two years old and includes the chimney pipes. the stove is available from a family friend who bought it for an elderly relative who has since passed away. They are doing a remodel and don't want the stove.
My daughter in law would like a pellet stove but thinks this one has the uglies. When on a limited budget, this seems a good opportunity to get into pellets burning. He normally burns wood and propane, but doesn't have his wood yet. This stove would have to go into the living room. The wood stove is in an uninsulated cellar.
Good buy?

I'd say it has the uglies too. But... it has a HUGE hopper (240lbs)

25-puf.jpg

25-PUF FEATURES:
One-touch ignition is simple and safe!
Improved, user-friendly control panel.
Approx. 2,200 square feet heating capacity.
SUPER-Sized hopper: 240 lb. capacity without requiring an extension.
SUPER-Long Burn*: Up to 5 days!
SUPER Idea: We're the first on the market to have an Ash Pan on this type of stove.
SUPER Convenience: Minimal maintenance required between hopper fillings*

I agree with what Jay said.

Seems like a real good price for a 2 yr old stove w/ pipe.

how big is the area he wants to heat with it?

the stove is HUGE in size will it dominate his living room? if the space to heat isnt very big a smaller stove may be a better fit though 800 with pipe is a pretty good deal, unit would have went for 1400-1600 new back then. if the size of the stove might be an issue you might look at www.amfmenergy.com and see what he is carrying refurbished 25-pdvc models (55-trp10) for. might be close to what the seller is looking for and you get free shipping and a factory warranty.

other than putting that stove in a living room , no issues ,solid unit its just so bloody big!

My son's home has a double living room, open concept to the dining room and kitchen. Open stairwell to the second floor where he has two bedrooms.
He told me he agreed to buy the stove, but he has not seen it burn. Remember, he is getting it from a family friend. I printed off a link to this forum with all the discussions about that unit. Also passed along the suggestion of that site where he can get a smaller, reconditioned stove. Thank you for that. I am thinking that he can put this stove in. If he finds it too much he should be able to sell it and get his investment back. Then get a smaller unit. I am sure they will end up doing that at some point because the wife isn't impressed with the large black box being in the living room. He has a wood stove in the uninsulated cellar. His other heat is propane. Once he sees the savings he will realize the value of this heating system.
Many of us already have a big black box in the living room. It is one of those 50 or 70 inch tv's!

Status
Not open for further replies.