Englander 25PDV groan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlenkows

Jul 1, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
I have an Englander 25PDV (dual auger) and have to ship away carbon buildup on the lower auger every 1-2 bags burned. It make a nasty groan if I don't.

Does anyone have an easy (or moderately difficult) solution to this?? Englanger tech support told me that I just need to take a screwdriver and chip away at it to clean it up.

There's got to be a way to prevent it from happening - at least so fast. I'd be fine with having to do this every 10 bags, but 1-2 is annoying as the stove has to be be cool for me to do it.

Thanks in advance!!

That seems a little excessive. For me, it is a part of my cleaning I do every 1-2 weeks, which means between 7-20 bags depending on the time of year. I've heard of some people mixing in some powdered graphite to one or two hoppers of pellets, adding a little lubrication to the augers. You may want to try that to see if it helps.

Good luck!

jlenkows said:
I have an Englander 25PDV (dual auger) and have to ship away carbon buildup on the lower auger every 1-2 bags burned. It make a nasty groan if I don't.....

Seems very excessive....what brand pellet are you burning? Does it happen regardless of heat setting, or happen more at lower settings, or higher settings, etc???

imacman said:
jlenkows said:
I have an Englander 25PDV (dual auger) and have to ship away carbon buildup on the lower auger every 1-2 bags burned. It make a nasty groan if I don't.....

Seems very excessive....what brand pellet are you burning? Does it happen regardless of heat setting, or happen more at lower settings, or higher settings, etc???

I've burned Lignetics, stove chow, a brand from Lowes that I forget...

The buildup occurs pretty much no matter what heat level. I almost never burn hotter than 3 and usually put the fan to 4 or lower.

kofkorn said:
That seems a little excessive. For me, it is a part of my cleaning I do every 1-2 weeks, which means between 7-20 bags depending on the time of year. I've heard of some people mixing in some powdered graphite to one or two hoppers of pellets, adding a little lubrication to the augers. You may want to try that to see if it helps.

Good luck!

Never heard of the graphite. Will google it. Thanks.

take a detailed look at the hopper seals, silicone seals in the seams , the gasket and check also to ensure the lid latches are tight, if air can be pulled down through the feed system it can dramatically increase carbon buildup. also ensure you are getting good intake air (OAK installed?) screen clear?

jlenkows said:
I have an Englander 25PDV (dual auger) and have to ship away carbon buildup on the lower auger every 1-2 bags burned. It make a nasty groan if I don't.

Does anyone have an easy (or moderately difficult) solution to this?? Englanger tech support told me that I just need to take a screwdriver and chip away at it to clean it up.

There's got to be a way to prevent it from happening - at least so fast. I'd be fine with having to do this every 10 bags, but 1-2 is annoying as the stove has to be be cool for me to do it.

Thanks in advance!!

You have to use one of those Dremel Tools, and use the Cone Shaped stone that you get with the kit to remove the carbon Build up. Wal Mart sells a Black and Decker one that's a lot cheaper than the Dremel Brand, about $20.00. You have to Grind about up to a 1/2 into the chamber of the Lower Auger, from the end of it at the burnpot to about a 1/2 in. To get at the Carbon you will need to turn on the stove momentarily , or turn auger manually, just enough space so you can Grind the carbon away, not hitting the auger blade. Does that make sense? I had to do this about 2 times during the winter with the tool, Works Awesome!! When you Unplug the Stove, you can stick your finger in the chamber touching it, Around the auger and you can feel the build up. The auger rubs on this build up when turning, causing the noise. One more thing.....have a vacuum hose attachment close to the area where you grind, running. Because you will have carbon dust floating all over the room!! Good Luck!

I would be careful of using a power tool, you do not want to pay for a new lower auger assy...

A chisel or large screwdriver works fine for me, but I only need to do it once a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.