englander 30-nc designed for ns or ew

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
I read a thread that mentioned the stove was designed to be loaded left right/east west...is this true?

Yep. Nowhere it that manual does it say load N/S does it?

BrotherBart said:
Yep. Nowhere it that manual does it say load N/S does it?

I didn't see where it mentioned either way, but its been 2 years since I went through it. 2 years doing it wrong...nice.

The stove is just so easy to load and burn in N/S it really makes no difference what it was designed for. The firebox is so darn deep that E/W burns are harder to do and still get a complete burn of the stuff in the back. Up until this year I burned everything N/S with no problems as far as chimney accumulations or anything. It is just harder to control with a box full of N/S splits rocking.

The fire E/W takes advantage of the combustion area above the load all the way across the firebox and makes for a really pretty burn. But you can't put as much wood in it because something is gonna collapse in the front sooner or later and probably end up against the glass.

Burn it the way that works for ya. That large almost square firebox makes for lots of ways to configure a load.

Big boxes give you lots of options. Experiment and see what you think. In fall I even burn diagonally because I am too lazy to cut off 3-4" from oversize cuts.

Neither of my stoves is really configured in such a way as to easily accomodate N-S burning, unless I were to cut my "shop wood" to ~12" and my "house wood" to ~15". Not gonna do that. I wish the big Lopi Liberty in the house was as deep as the smaller Lopi Endeavor (or the Englander 30). Ah well. Consequently, I burn almost exclusively E-W, especially in the shop stove. I have to admit that I'm a somewhat "lazy" burner, in that I'm retired and thus pretty much always around when I'm burning, and I burn nearly exclusively softwoods, and so I rarely try to stuff the stove for a long burn. I don't mind tossing another split or two in from time to time. In the Liberty that inevitably leads to me burning E-W, SW-NE, SE-NW...whatever. I manage to stay warm. Rick

I have a country stove , and it was really design to burn east to west you can burn 21in logs , but burning north to south 15in , but the stove burns so much better north to south.

Status
Not open for further replies.