Englander 30 Stove Opinions?!?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

usner21

Oct 16, 2009
Eastern PA
I had another thread started asking for opinions between two Englander models. One was an insert and the other was a free standing stove. I think I have really decided I would like to go with a the Englander 30 and I have some questions. I want to know what i will need to do to get my flex liner attached to my 30 if it doesn't sit inside my fire box? Also what will be the best way to modify my Hearth to handle the 30? I have included some pics of my Hearth area for you to view. I am without a stove right now as I have already sold my old insert so I am looking for the quickest way to get the stove in for this winter. Thanks for the help in advance guys.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 466
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 459
Good stove, but seems to be a bit of overkill to heat 1100-1300 sq ft. In free-standing, I'd look at a 2 or 2.5 cu ft stove meant to be rear-vented like the Buck 261 or Jotul Rangeley.

I have an Englander 17-VL in my 1,250 sq ft home and it heats the entire house easily until it gets down below 20F, then it heats the downstairs easily and the upstairs is a bit cold (60F while downstairs is 72F) and if we want more upstairs heat we kick on the baseboard. It takes up very little space in our home, pics here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/82918/

I love the stove, only bad thing is due to the 1.1 cubic ft box, it has a short burn time. Plan on only 2-3 hours with soft woods split small (3" or smaller), or up to 5-6 hours with nice oak split larger (5" or so).

Thanks for the info but I am looking for much more heat upstairs then that. I am 99% sure i am going with the 30!

You go demo'ing that fireplace and you will run into all sorts of problems. If the 30 won't fit into it as is you need to be looking for a stove that will fit. Here is how I shoehorned mine half and and half out of the raised fireplace.

Attachments

• new brownie.jpg
    new brownie.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 419
BrotherBart said:
You go demo'ing that fireplace and you will run into all sorts of problems. If the 30 won't fit into it as is you need to be looking for a stove that will fit. Here is how I shoehorned mine half and and half out of the raised fireplace.

So I would be better off extending my hearth with brick and sitting the stove on top as far back into the fireplace as I can?

The height of the fireplace opening is 28". So the 30 won't fit into my opening height wise. What I was looking to do was build a hearth pad on the floor and set the 30 on it. Then somehow connect to my flex liner in the chimney. Or could I take a row of brick out of the floor of my firebox? Is this possible?

usner21 said:
The height of the fireplace opening is 28". So the 30 won't fit into my opening height wise. What I was looking to do was build a hearth pad on the floor and set the 30 on it. Then somehow connect to my flex liner in the chimney. Or could I take a row of brick out of the floor of my firebox? Is this possible?

Sounds reasonable to me. Not sure on the specifics as to how to do it though.

joecool85 said:
usner21 said:

Which part removing brick from the firebox floor or building a new hearth pad? Would I be better off just going with the Englander 13?

usner21 said:
joecool85 said:
usner21 said:

Which part removing brick from the firebox floor or building a new hearth pad? Would I be better off just going with the Englander 13?

Sorry lol, only read the first bit. I wouldn't remove any brick from your fireplace, I meant it should work building a hearth pad and putting the 30 on it. The 13 is outdated but apparently is still a good stove (no personal experience with it myself).

joecool85 said:
usner21 said:
joecool85 said:
usner21 said:

Sorry lol, only read the first bit. I wouldn't remove any brick from your fireplace, I meant it should work building a hearth pad and putting the 30 on it. The 13 is outdated but apparently is still a good stove (no personal experience with it myself).

Looking at my pictures above it would be feasable to take away my hearth and set my 30 directly in fron of the opening on the floor? How would I run the stove piping to the flex liner is my question/issue?

I am starting to think maybe I should just go with the Englander 13 which will fit in my current opening I believe.

Can't you get a set of short legs for the 30? I could have missed this in reading the above.

Good luck,
Bill

leeave96 said:
Can't you get a set of short legs for the 30? I could have missed this in reading the above.

Good luck,
Bill

There are 6" and 9" legs. Not sure how tall the pedestal is, but with the pedestal the stove is listed as 29.75" tall.

the 13's come with 6 inch legs im pretty sure, however the listed height at 29.75 with pedestal i think is taller than the stove is with 6 " legs, i'll have to check and repost when im in the office. stay tunes sports fans (CHUCKLE) i cant do everything from home im afraid

stoveguy2esw said:
the 13's come with 6 inch legs im pretty sure, however the listed height at 29.75 with pedestal i think is taller than the stove is with 6 " legs, i'll have to check and repost when im in the office. stay tunes sports fans (CHUCKLE) i cant do everything from home im afraid
6" legs (what I'm using) gets the 30's stove top to 26 7/8" then add another 1 1/2" for the collar and you are a hair over the 28, but under 29.

If one knew the collar would fit up once you get past the fireplace face, then you could slide it in with no legs and then raise it up IN the fireplace to put the legs on it. This would be pretty difficult, but you only gotz to do it once!

Somebody said something about the 13 being outdated? I'm not sure what that's about. The 13 is a nice EPA stove with good secondary burn tubes in it. Basically was the older 12 with some modifications.

Danno77 said:
If one knew the collar would fit up once you get past the fireplace face, then you could slide it in with no legs and then raise it up IN the fireplace to put the legs on it. This would be pretty difficult, but you only gotz to do it once!

Many small floor jacks are under 6 inches tall. Maybe just put the front legs on, slide it in w/ a floor jack under the back, raise, install legs, life is good?

pen

pen said:
Danno77 said:

Many small floor jacks are under 6 inches tall. Maybe just put the front legs on, slide it in w/ a floor jack under the back, raise, install legs, life is good?

pen
After the past few weeks of using this 30, I think I'd do just about anything to get one in there!

Let Mike get you good measurements. I bought the 30 and had it shipped in based on the measurements on the website. Well, it turned out that those measurements were from when they put six inch legs on the stove. They had changed to shipping them with nine inch legs. The problem was obvious from the moment my by myself self got that thing in the house and up on the raised hearth. Mike's gang got me a set of six inch legs here in short order. But a fireplace install with that stove is a knee wrecking, back busting, knuckle skinning exercise any way you do it. I know. I had to do it twice.

In fact three times because I changed liners after the first season.

BrotherBart said:
But a fireplace install with that stove is a knee wrecking, back busting, knuckle skinning exercise any way you do it.

True that !!! :shut:

The 30 may be overkill for that space... but if it colds outside and its not warm inside (with the 30) then thats all your fault.

Its a big stove that gives big results.

Hope it fits in the space provided.

Do you already have your wood? They like dry wood (EPA stoves in general).

Danno77 said:
Somebody said something about the 13 being outdated? I'm not sure what that's about. The 13 is a nice EPA stove with good secondary burn tubes in it. Basically was the older 12 with some modifications.

That would be me. I think it's kind of fugly for one, but more importantly, it requires a hearth pad with R2.0 protection! For a stove under 2 cubic ft I think that's pretty ridiculous. With some small revisions I think they could make it a much nicer stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.