englander 30 stove seems to not be drafting or getting air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dennyc

Mar 13, 2010
western md
Just installed a new englander 30 ncp woodstove in my basement. started a couple of fires but it seems like it doesn't get any air even when the air handle is pulled out completely. Does 50 and 60 degree day's have an effect on this? Previous stove worked and drafted fine. Just wanted a bigger stove.

Yes, warm weather will reduce draft. Try opening a nearby door or window to see if that improves it a bit.

Thanks for quick reply. Forgot to mention. Chimney height is 25 feet. Masonry chimney is lined due to mortar cracks. Thanks for any suggestions. Great site.

I've got a 30-nc in my basement as well, and I've noticed a drop-off in the quality of the burn since it warmed up outside. You might need to wait for colder weather to return to really see what the stove can do. But in the meantime, you need really, really dry wood. Regular "seasoned" wood won't cut it in this stove, it is very particular that way. I've been trying to burn only wood that's below 20% MC.

You also need to make sure you've built a fast, hot fire, leaving the door cracked a bit open if needed, to heat up the firebox and the flue. The stove won't work right until it and the flue are hot. In fact, the first load of wood in a cold stove, IMO, is "sacrificial," in that it's mainly used to get a bed of red coals, after which the fresh wood burns long and hot.

If you're looking for more ideas and feedback, you could also look at the series of posts I made last autumn after I installed my stove. There are 3 separate ones, in which problems similar to yours were debated by many of the gurus here.

Welcome to the forum Denny. I hope the advice to crack a window will help. Also as stated, you should have really dry wood. And the warm air has also affected our stove as we not tend to run the draft a bit more open than when it is colder outside. Good luck.

Also make sure there are no competing appliances for air in the basment, ie clothes dryer, boiler etc. Basements are tough to get draft going, especially in warmer weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.