Englander-30 users?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobUrban

Minister of Fire
Jul 24, 2010
Central Michigan
Those curently burning/heating with a 30 - I would like to ask you a few questions regarding your N-30 in comparison to other stoves of similar design. As you are a users of this stove and vets of wood burning I just want to pick your brain a bit if you don't mind.

A little background: This is my first year heating with wood in my own home but I have been around it my whole life(I'm 45) and grew up with a VC defiant in my folks home. I am currently heating with the same stove mostly because it was given to me and I spent 3000.00 having my chimney installed so I figured getting my feet wet with the freebie and a stove I am familiar with was a good plac to start. My intention is to upgrade my stove in the spring/summer and be reasy for next season. I am burning good wood and have access to plenty that will be cut stacked and drying for at least a year prior to burning next fall. Mostly oak, ash, cherry and other hardwoods available to me here in Michigan. My home is 1600sq' and pretty open. I am haing no problem heating it well with the stoe I have and have not needed my furnace back-up at all this year. We will see what the real cold weather brings. My Chimney is class A up through the house and double wall class A stove pipe. All 8".

I see that many here, you included, are happy with their E-30 stoves and I can pick one up all day long at Home Depot for under 1000.00 - probably much less in the spring. I have decided that this is the design and size I will be buying to heat my home. My question is about quality as I have looked at other stove of this design and they seem to be better built than the E-30. The two I have looked at are the Enerzone 2.9 and the Heatilator WS22. Both of these stoves, although very similar in design and function to the 30 seem just more solid. Both also are in the 1400-1800 range in price. In your opinion, with your practical use in mind, is there any advantage of spending the extra 5-700$ on one of these stoves over the Englander. How long have you been burning with your stove and how has it held up regarding function and maintenance? Do you feel getting 5-10 years out of an E-30 reasonable if proper care and simple maintenace was used even if it runs 24/7 for the winter months?
If you could do it all over again - is this still the stove you would purchase to heat your home? If price were that same would any of you gone with another stove I mentioned of other stove in this design arena than the 30?

Thanks for any help and any more information you can give me regarding your stove.

I know this is subjective and can be biased regarding your personal choise I am not looking for a, "mines beter than yours" thread" - rather I am looking for practical information based on budget, quality of construction, ease of use and value. My home is not one that warrants my dream stove, a Hearthstone, so that will wait until I build my dream home.

Bob Urban

I PM'd this exact message to a Mod who is currently using a 30 so I apologize for double asking Penn - just doing my homework and really appreciate this site and all the great information.

Hate to say this but you'd be much better off if had installed a 6" flue instead of an 8" flue.. The vast majority of stoves today utilize a 6" flue and your draft will suffer using an oversized flue.. The 30-NC is a good stove but don't know how it will like a 8" flue..

Good Luck!

Ray

My neighbor has a 30 in a similar sized house, heats very well but has an insatiable appetite for lots of wood,he says about 6 hours of usable heat 8 if he babysits it. That's just one persons opinion most here seem satified with theirs.

ohlongarm said:
My neighbor has a 30 in a similar sized house, heats very well but has an insatiable appetite for lots of wood,he says about 6 hours of usable heat 8 if he babysits it. That's just one persons opinion most here seem satified with theirs.

That sounds contrary to what I have been reading here concerning wood usage with the NC-30 here.. Is your neighbor burning dry hardwood, wet wood or softwood? With a big firebox like that I would expect closer to 12 hr. burn times and by that I mean enough coals to relight with no kindling..

Ray

All I can tell ya is that I am in the middle of my sixth heating season with the 30-NC and can't imagine any other stove doing a better job. But the Enerzone is a fine wood stove and if you perceive it to be the better choice then that is what you should buy.

As to the post above about wood eating and short burn times, somebody ain't holding their mouth right. The 30 cut my wood consumption exactly in half while providing more heat than my old large stove. And I just reloaded a 250 degree stove after 13 hours in a 72 degree 2,500 sq. ft. house upstairs and down after a night in the high 20s.

BrotherBart said:
All I can tell ya is that I am in the middle of my sixth heating season with the 30-NC and can't imagine any other stove doing a better job. But the Enerzone is a fine wood stove and if you perceive it to be the better choice then that is what you should buy.

As to the post above about wood eating and short burn times, somebody ain't holding their mouth right. The 30 cut my wood consumption exactly in half while providing more heat than my old large stove. And I just reloaded a 250 degree stove after 13 hours in a 72 degree 2,500 sq. ft. house upstairs and down after a night in the high 20s.

Those are impressive numbers Bart! Your experiences with the 30 are pretty much what read about here in the forum.. I am convinced that the 30 is the best value in wood heating and decent to look at as well.. Even at full price they are still a bargain!

Ray

Thanks, BrotherBart I think the englander 30 is going to be my next stove purchase also. The CAT stove prices are to much and having to pay big bucks to replace the CAT components. If I can get 12 hour burn times for a stove at that price I'm in. I am going to finish the season with what I have and look in the off season for a deal. I plan on getting by Home Depot to check them out. Happy Burning......

I think the Enerzone, run right, would do just as well. Most of the time the problem isn't the stove.

l realize the potential flu/draft issues and have been researching that as well. I am rather confident I wont struggle too much due to a straight shot chimney and if I do I will add anther section of class A to the top. Also, it seems this is rather common going from stove 6 to chimney 8 without many issues from the information I have gathered here. Going the other direction is a different story.

Thanks for the input - I am clearly not going away from the E-30 as of yet - just researching options and questioning the value vs. dollars spent as there is certainly an upgrade in quality from one to another but is it so much that I can/should justify the expense.

Again, not a, "mine is better than yours, thread so thank you all for not taking this discusion in that direction.

As I mentioned, if I was a money is no object kind of person the Hearthstone would be my first choice but that is not my situation so I am settling for the next best thing within my price point and researching value of dollars spent.

Thank you all for your help.

Bob Urban

Yeah, but isn't the enerzone 5 to 7 hundred more than the englander according to BobUrban. If the price difference where closer I might consider. But, I hear a lot of good things about the englander 30 on this forum.

I do question how the word "quality" is being used here.

BrotherBart said:
I do question how the word "quality" is being used here.
ME too, I would like for him to explain that, I thought the 30 was built like a tank.

Installed an Englander 30 last year. I really can't imagine a better stove for the money. If you wait until a sale goes at the Home Depot, they can be had for under 700--which is an absolute steal. In a perfect world and bigger budget, I would have gotten a big Cat stove, but that was not in the budget and the 30 heats my 3000 square home just fine, although it makes my basement a kiln.

Wow, under 700 and I will be very happy. I am going to look for a good sale or end of season clearance.

Yes, a CAT stove would be great but money is tight especially right after christmas. Hey, 12 hour burn times on a load sounds like music to my ears. My country stove is only 4 to 5 hour burn times and is underpowered for my house of 2200 sq. ft. in lower temps..

HighHeat22 said:
Wow, under 700 and I will be very happy. I am going to look for a good sale or end of season clearance.

Yes, a CAT stove would be great but money is tight especially right after christmas. Hey, 12 hour burn times on a load sounds like music to my ears. My country stove is only 4 to 5 hour burn times and is underpowered for my house of 2200 sq. ft. in lower temps..

Last year at this time I was saving up for our first stove. I was planning on a Quadra-Fire 3100, Napolean 1400, Lopi Republic 1750, or PE Super 27. When I joined this forum I saw all the buzz about the Englander 30.

I went to Home Depot on March 1st and it was on sale for $600. I had a 10% off coupon and it came to about $540 before taxes. Can't beat that.

One year later it was the best decision I could have made. Sure, it lacks the refinement of some higher end stoves but for the price it is well worth it.

You have to be kidding 540 what a deal. I was thinking I could come up with a 10% off coupon also. I would pay 540 right now the heck with going rest of season with what I have. I am sure around feb. or march they will be looking to clearance out. I hope so.

Installed my 30 this past Sept. Been burning 24/7 for a month and a half now. Using 6 splits with moisture reading around 17%, I get a 12 hour burn with a 1500 sf ranch style house. The temp. in the am is 71 to 73 degrees and a really good bed of red coals for the restart. I estimate that my wood consumption is about 20% lower now as opposed to when I was running my regency R-3's. I really love this stove so far. for the $$$$$$ I don't think it can be beat. Englander customer service is fantastic as well. Money well spent without a doubt.

Unless you want to save and buy a CAT stove, the 30 is as good as you can get. I wouldnt pay these prices. Kinda bad time to be buying stoves.

I apologize to those that have the 30 as I did not mean to disrespct the stove and I am very likely to make it my home heat choice - I am just looking for opinions.

As far as quality is concerned I am a welder and blacksmith by hobby and used to make my living with steel. From a fabrication perspective the 30 seems cheap compared to the other stove I am looking at. I have not opperated either stove - just handles them in the showroom and Home Depot. The steel is lighter on the 30 and the door and latch is less solid. From the reviews here it is clear that no one has had any bad experiences with the 30 which makes the value all the more appealing. I will continue to research my options and put the best stove I can in my home with the least amount of cost.

Thanks again for all the input

Bob Urban

What you will find with most stoves out there is that the ones with a step top use 1/4" plate for the top plate and the flat tops use 5/16". The step bend resists warping but with a flat top they use the thicker steel to prevent/slow it. That is the case with the 30-NC and the Enerzone. Both have 3/16" plate stove bodies with the 30 having a 1/4" step top plate and the flat top Enerzone using 5/16" up top.

You will find the same thing in a lot of $3,000 stoves.

Thanks BB - that makes sense with the bend in the plate saving the need for the heavier steel. I am learning a lot here.

The advent of CAD design systems and competition taught stove manufacturers a few things and forced a few things. One thing they learned is that you can build a strong stove without having to build the whole thing out of 3/8" boilerplate. Price competition taught them that they better. I will use the 30 as an example but the Enerzone and all the rest do the same things. Already discussed was adding strength by adding the step bend. Next look inside and you see full length brick retainer angle instead of just tabs to hold up the firebrick. Not only do those two rails hold up the bricks but more importantly they provide structural rigidity all the way down that flat sheet of steel the side of the firebox is made of. Just above the brick retainers are the secondary air manifolds which really don't need to be as large as they are to carry the air but their other purpose is more rigidity and warp resistance for the stove body. Same thing with the air riser manifold in the front corners and across the back in the top as well as one under the door and one over it. In the back the same job is done by the secondary air riser in the middle of the back.

What used to be accomplished with the brute force of thick steel and guessing is now accomplished on a computer in the design stage. They took elements they had to have anyway and used them to make a stronger stove out of lighter, and yes cheaper, steel.

HighHeat22 said:
You have to be kidding 540 what a deal. I was thinking I could come up with a 10% off coupon also. I would pay 540 right now the heck with going rest of season with what I have. I am sure around feb. or march they will be looking to clearance out. I hope so.

No gloating, well maybe just a little... and not sure if they can be had for this price anymore.... but I got my 30 for $476.00 a couple years ago at Lowes when they were going for clearance.
Keep your eyes peeled, it wills start soon.

Good thing, the damn thing weighs enough as it is LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.