Englander 30 Wall Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottL

Aug 31, 2008
Eastern Ct
I have an Englander 30 in a corner install. I followed all clearances when I installed the stove I have single wall connector pipe and just the rear heat shield. I have 15" from the stove/ heat shield to the wall and 24.5" to the single wall pipe. The problem I am having is that if I keep the stove cruising at 500 or so stove top for more then a few hours there is one spot on my wall that gets up to about 168. It is just regular sheet rock and am concerned that it may be getting to hot. I tryed to order the fan and side heat shield kit from Englander one day this past week and when i added the second item into the cart it said the shipping cost was going to be $99,999.00 so I decided against purchasing online LOL, I tried calling them the next day to order the two items but I got multiple busy signals. I am thinking that the side heat shield will definitely solve the problem but i do not think I should really need them since the stove is installed according to the manual.

Its not in the back where I have the issue it is about the center of the side of the stove if you draw a line straight to the wall. Have you ever used a IR thermometer to check the temp of the wall ? Just wondering if anyone has taken actual readings of the wall temp.

Your good. you can have the wall surface be 125F above ambient, so you are still OK.

$99,999.00. that sounds reasonable to me :) . but i agree with the others 168* does not sound unreasonably high, but for peace of mind the side shields would be a good investment.

Dow N. Jones said:
cmonSTART said:
I've never used an IR thermometer, just the hand on the wall test. If it doesn't burn your hand you're fine.
i put my tongue on it,OOPS, thats for a frozen pipe :shut:

I triple dog dare you!

Ultimately you need to decide what's best for your own peace of mind. Considering that come dead of winter you may want to be pushing that big stove harder and hotter, I'd go for the side shields.

I ordered the side shields today and the shipping was correct at 12.50 until i added the blower and it went up to 99,999 again. So i just ordered the shields for now. How much can i expect the side shields to drop the temp on the wall.

a greyish blue color on the darker side

ScottL said:
I ordered the side shields today and the shipping was correct at 12.50 until i added the blower and it went up to 99,999 again. So i just ordered the shields for now. How much can i expect the side shields to drop the temp on the wall.

scott, please PM me your phone number and the PO number you got from our web store, im not sure whats happening with the shipping thing but i'll correct it , if you shoot me that info i will see about what i can do about your issue with your order. if you do this tonight(11/28/08) i will be in my office at 10 eastern tomorrrow for about 3 hours, would love to chat with you about the stove and try to get some information about why the shipping calculator on our web store did what it did.

mike ESW

i now know that the reason the shipping came up tha way is there is a limit to weight for web orders at this time on our website, the orders which exceed the weight limit for a single order cause this to pop up , the site will also pop up an explanation for why it is doing this but its not a very "bold" pop up so it can easily be missed. we will be workig on correcting this to make it a bit more noticable so this will not end up as confusing. personally i did not know of this until this thread. but have made aware our web store manager in our IT dept and we will work on making our store more user friendly and hopefully a bit more flexable as well.

for future referrence if ordering on our website , please note that if the shipping comes up at 99999.00 then you have exceeded the max shipping weight for a single order , to correct this there are 2 options , split your purchase into 2 orders or call our parts department at 800-516-3636 to place your order.

Status
Not open for further replies.