Englander 30NC delivered today. 1 question...or 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jstellfox

Jul 15, 2010
PA
On the placard in back of the stove it has listed stove clearances...These are obviously clearances to combustables. Since I am installing in my basement with block walls, I am able to install closer than the labeled clearances correct? Also I saw that it says Alcove ceiling minimum 84". I am a bit unclear on this. Stove pipe clearance to ceiling is only 18". While I have only 76" high basement ceilings it still gives me almost 4 feet from stove top to ceiling. Why is that not enough clearance when the pipe only needs 18"? Am I missing something here...it did say ("Alcove minimum ceiling"). My stove will sit out in an open room, not sure how that differs from an alcove and would that be the reason for the 84" minimum ceiling height...because alcoves require more clearance than a normal open floor install? Sorry for all the questions, I am just excited about the stove and stressed about all the install particulars. On top of this I am having one heck of a time getting someone with experience to help with the chimney/stove install. Anyhow...any help with the questions above would be great!!!

Dig out the Owner's Manual, read it very carefully cover to cover at least twice, paying particular attention to the diagrams...then come back with any further questions, and any number of folks here (including at least one valued member who works for the folks who built your stove) will be more than happy to help you figure it out. Just do your homework first...don't try to cheat on the quiz. :) Rick

Why is it that everyone here automatically thinks a new poster is a moron? I have enough sense to read the manual and have read it cover to cover. The questions I asked are not directly addressed in the manual...if you re-read my questions they are not things that are directly spelled out in the manual, thus why I asked them to the board. This is a message board about wood stoves. Sorry to get all fired up, but it seems every time I ask a question on this board I am given a bunch of crap instead of help. Thats fine, I see how people are welcomed here.

Hey Fossil, that was a VERY rude reply to someone in need. I truly question your moderator skills. They definately need honing

Calm down folks. The OP only mentioned looking at the "placard in back".

You can put the stove closer to a block wall since it is non-combustible. That clearance only applies to a combustible object or surface. And the alcove restrictions do not apply to a stove sitting out in the open.

BTW: Here is yer shirt.

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 376
My sincere apologies. The OP made reference only to have read the placard on the back of the stove. No mention whatever of having unpacked the thing and read the book. Lots of folks come on here having done just that, and nothing more. I can't read minds, only what's typed into a post. If my reply seemed abrupt or even rude, again, I apologize to jstellfox. stuigi, if you think I shouldn't be a moderator here, I highly encourage you to take that up with the webmaster. Rick

congrats on the new 30! It's a great stove!

Alcove is a term specifically defined, the definition of which escapes me now but basically is a very small closed in area. From the sounds of it your basement is not, so the alcove clearances do not apply to you. If I wasn't so tired and lazy I would look up the definition.

Have fun!

Edit: For the stove install it might be useful to search at csia.org for a local sweep. They might be able to help.

Ya see fossil, that was my point exactly. You may be just having a bad day today, but you seem real quick to jum down someones throat. I am not trying to fight. I just believe a moderator should moderate and not try to inflame

Rick, how are the cats??

Feline, not catalytic :)

jstellfox, I can understand the confusion and concern. 76" is a pretty low ceiling. The stove manual is vague and incomplete. It doesn't mention alcove once and does not give minimum ceiling height specs. Many stoves explicitly call this out in their manuals. I think Englander should too. There will be a lot of heat above the stove and stovepipe. Give Englander tech support a call for a clarification and exact ceiling height spec. Worst case scenario, you may need to add a ceiling heat shield. No big deal, it's pretty easy to install and worth it for peace of mind.

As for moderating, fossil is the best. We all have our good and grumpy days. Often we answer the same question dozens of times over. Sometimes we might get a little impatient. Sorry, this is free info and we are just human. Bear with us, there are fun days too. (though we're heading into the crazy busy season shortly.)

Status
Not open for further replies.