Englander 30NC ?'s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackls1z

Sep 22, 2010
Brewer, Maine
I am seriously looking into purchasing an Englander 30nc. I'm just looking for some input from current 30NC owners as to its quality? This stove is priced so attractively compared to the other brands I've looked at. I just don't want to buy something that won't last or I'll be unhappy with. Thanks for any input!

Do a search on - Englander 30NC in the search forums box, above left. There are many posts on this stove. Most owners are quite happy with their 30NCs, including one of the moderators who was the first here to buy one. And he hates steel stoves! :)

Hi colin. I have a 30 and I love it. I looked into other brands, but hands down the price point had me sold after a little research. It is a heating machine. Its a big ugly tough stove and does what it should really well. No complaints here.

I gave this as a reply to a fella last night asking about my 30. Think it will be good for you too.

I went from burning fisher stoves to this englander last winter.

I purchased the stove 1 year old for 450 dollars (like new). A guy installed it in a trailer and he spent that first winter w/ the windows open as it was way too much stove for that space.

I went from burning 5 to 5.5 full cords of wood a winter to maybe 4 cords last winter.

W/ my old fisher, I’d come home from work and the fire would be out and the house would be 60-62 degrees (dead of winter). Within an hour I could heat it back up to 70.

W/ my englander, I come home to a pile of coals that easily gets the next fire going. I can go as much as 14 hours between loads at times (if the coal bed is right). Now when I come home the house is 64-65 and within an hour I get it up to about 68-70.

So basically, this stove burns less wood, maintains a more constant temperature, and keeps my chimney cleaner than my old stove did.

I’ve researched all sorts of stoves and read just about every complaint about every common stove on the market through the website. I say the englander is not the worlds prettiest stove but it can heat along w/ any of them and is efficient as any. For the money it’s a bargain. Those few who have had a problem have reported back great customer service.

In all, I’ve found it tough as nails and a great heater that I’d recommend to anyone.

2 things you need to know.

1. BE CAREFUL OF THE CERAMIC BAFFLE BOARDS! My stove is on it’s 3rd winter w/ them and I see no reason that they need to be replaced from regular wear. However, if you aren’t careful when loading or let a poker go crazy inside of there you can break one of them in a heartbeat. In other words, they hold up great under normal use, but will not tolerate abuse. If you break one, it’s not the end of the world but it is 75 bux, you’d just have to order it from englander.

2. your wood needs to be DRY. No cheating here. My old fisher would burn dead cats if that’s what I had for fuel. This thing burns awesome but only w/ really well seasoned wood. When I say well seasoned I mean that this winters wood was cut, split and stacked last fall, not this spring/ summer.

The problem w/ people not seasoning their firewood is why many people sell new stoves. They burned wood for 30 years w/ an old smoke dragon that would chew through anything and now they can’t get their new stove to work for beans since they are still trying to use the same old wet wood that they always (wrongly) believed was seasoned.

And for the last reason to buy one. For 1k bux, if you don’t like it you can sell it tomorrow during the peak season for virtually every penny you’ve got into it. I doubt that would happen tho.

pen

pen said:
And for the last reason to buy one. For 1k bux, if you don’t like it you can sell it tomorrow during the peak season for virtually every penny you’ve got into it. I doubt that would happen tho.

That was kinda my logic. I had budgeted $2,500 for a replacement for the old insert when I came across the 30. I had known Englander stoves for 25 years but wondered why they were "value" stoves now. They used to suck as much cash out of your pocket as any stove made back when I bought the Sierra in the mid-eighties. Figured if they had gone to hell I would put it in the basement and go get the original one I was thinking about. Bought it, the one I got was defective, they replaced it. No hassling with a dealer for weeks who thought I was nuts. Just replaced it.

It will light off for season five here in a week or two and I don't see it leaving this house while I am verticle. And it ain't ugly. Five coats of Stove Bright Golden Fire Brown paint before it came in the house, the same color as my old stove and pretty much everything Harman sells, and it is the prettiest stove on the planet sitting in that fireplace.

And we sleep under a sheet all winter in this twenty-five hundred sq. ft. barn on three cords of hardwood. The old, much beloved, stove chewed up six cords a season. Of course I now dry it at least a year longer. And yes it gets kinda cold in tropical Northern Virginia. Especially when there ain't another heat source in this house. I keep planning to get one.

pen said:
I gave this as a reply to a fella last night asking about my 30. Think it will be good for you too.

I went from burning fisher stoves to this englander last winter.

I purchased the stove 1 year old for 450 dollars (like new). A guy installed it in a trailer and he spent that first winter w/ the windows open as it was way too much stove for that space.

I went from burning 5 to 5.5 full cords of wood a winter to maybe 4 cords last winter.

W/ my old fisher, I’d come home from work and the fire would be out and the house would be 60-62 degrees (dead of winter). Within an hour I could heat it back up to 70.

W/ my englander, I come home to a pile of coals that easily gets the next fire going. I can go as much as 14 hours between loads at times (if the coal bed is right). Now when I come home the house is 64-65 and within an hour I get it up to about 68-70.

So basically, this stove burns less wood, maintains a more constant temperature, and keeps my chimney cleaner than my old stove did.

I’ve researched all sorts of stoves and read just about every complaint about every common stove on the market through the website. I say the englander is not the worlds prettiest stove but it can heat along w/ any of them and is efficient as any. For the money it’s a bargain. Those few who have had a problem have reported back great customer service.

In all, I’ve found it tough as nails and a great heater that I’d recommend to anyone.

2 things you need to know.

1. BE CAREFUL OF THE CERAMIC BAFFLE BOARDS! My stove is on it’s 3rd winter w/ them and I see no reason that they need to be replaced from regular wear. However, if you aren’t careful when loading or let a poker go crazy inside of there you can break one of them in a heartbeat. In other words, they hold up great under normal use, but will not tolerate abuse. If you break one, it’s not the end of the world but it is 75 bux, you’d just have to order it from englander.

2. your wood needs to be DRY. No cheating here. My old fisher would burn dead cats if that’s what I had for fuel. This thing burns awesome but only w/ really well seasoned wood. When I say well seasoned I mean that this winters wood was cut, split and stacked last fall, not this spring/ summer.

The problem w/ people not seasoning their firewood is why many people sell new stoves. They burned wood for 30 years w/ an old smoke dragon that would chew through anything and now they can’t get their new stove to work for beans since they are still trying to use the same old wet wood that they always (wrongly) believed was seasoned.

pen

I am the fellow and after reading the review I went to purchase the stove....

Status
Not open for further replies.