Englander 55-shp10 auto igniter/new owner/need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sydsdad

Oct 1, 2010
eastern Pa
I just installed my stove and went to light ,no luck on first 2 tries.On 3rd try stuck a pellet in the igniter hole and cracked the door and coaxed it to light.Anyone with any tips or advice on ways to adjust or is there something wrong? Would like for my wife to be able to hit the ON button and not have to worry...Thank you rmw

sydsdad said:
I just installed my stove and went to light ,no luck on first 2 tries.On 3rd try stuck a pellet in the igniter hole and cracked the door and coaxed it to light.Anyone with any tips or advice on ways to adjust or is there something wrong? Would like for my wife to be able to hit the ON button and not have to worry...Thank you rmw

I always throw a few pellets in front of the igniter hole then hit start....I've never really had a problem doing it that way.....I know there is a adjustment on it or specific spacing to the burn pot...did you check the manual? Maybe the website too....

Cracking the door will in effect make it take longer or even shut the stove down altogether as the unit needs a depressurized chamber to allow the augers to feed properly. From the back of the unit where the igniter goes in, perhaps the airflow tube is disconnected or if there is no air flow tube, perhaps the igniter is not seated properly. The igniter port draws air in from the air intake via a small vent hole, heats up that air and causes the pellets to ignite via this hot air. You make a have a stubborn pellet which is not lighting as quickly as you would like. Also, make sure the control voard settings are set to 5 or above during start up. It does help to toss a dozen pellets in front of the igniter hole so you do not have to wait for the auger to feed them over. I this is your first fire, perhaps the first attempt timed out because the augers were not primed with pellets and your second attempt you just got impatient. turn the control settings up to 6 or 7 (heat range) at the next start up and just stand back. Remember, a watched stove NEVER lights. Go find a favorite beverage or check out the ball game and come back in 20 minutes.

Never had a problem with mine either, and I don't bother any more putting a small stack in front of the igniter hole. Heck, my 9 year old was starting it all last winter.

What are you seeing? Is the igniter lighting? Are the pellets overflowing? What are your setting? Has the stove had a good cleaning?

Thank you guys for advice and help.The Igniter needed to be pulled back about a 1/8th of and inch,after that adjustment everything is working perfect ,fires up in the first minute now..heres a pic of my stove ,bought last monday ,installed saturday,started burning last night...RMW

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 360
I recall something in the manual or replacement procedure about that. How did you find out?

Glad to hear you got her going. We love pics! Thanks.

I solved my issue by talking to a gentleman at ESW he was very patient and listened to everything i told him about my setup and diagnosed my problem in a matter of minutes.I have a basement install with a little longer horizontal then suggested by manufacture.My setup calls for an adjustment on the auto light igniter assy. Very easy to do and with their know how it was a breeze, they told me which way to go with my adjustment and exactly how much it would need.TY RMW

sydsdad said:
I solved my issue by talking to a gentleman at ESW he was very patient and listened to everything i told him about my setup and diagnosed my problem in a matter of minutes.I have a basement install with a little longer horizontal then suggested by manufacture.My setup calls for an adjustment on the auto light igniter assy. Very easy to do and with their know how it was a breeze, they told me which way to go with my adjustment and exactly how much it would need.TY RMW

As been stated many times on this forum, Mike Holton and his Tech crew at Englander are the BEST....be very glad you have one of their stoves.....I am!

Status
Not open for further replies.