englander install ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kartracer

Jan 5, 2009
Vale NC
My inlaws are a buying a house near us that was built in the 80's.It is around 2000 sq feet including the basement.The previous owner had a freestanding wood stove in the basement.The walls are concrete along with the floor and he had it sitting on a brick pad.My question is,it appears the old stove just had the black stovepipe that ran thru the cement wall,it has a round clay liner that is 6 3/4 inches in diameter.The clay line runs straight into the flue.There is no stainless liner.Will an englander or any woodstove work like this?It appears the flue may be 8 0r 9 inches in diameter.Also which englander would be best,the 13 or 30?Thanks for any help,as they are tight on money,but I want to make sure everything is right and safe...All the clearances are good.

It sounds like a standard clay thimble. If there are no combustibles within 12" of the thimble in any direction, then it should be ok. How close to the ceiling is this thimble? Also, do you know anything about the chimney condition and tile size in it?

Sounds like you're describing a set-up where the stovepipe goes through the thimble, penetrating the wall of an exterior masonry chimney structure, and just dumps into the masonry flue. As BeGreen suggested, it would help to know the interior dimensions of that flue, as well as something about the condition of it and the total height to daylight. It could well be that the best thing to do is to install a complete liner, but more info would help a lot. If the basement walls are uninsulated, you're going to lose a lot of heat out through them. Heating the upstairs living space using a downstairs space heater can be a challenge. Rick

A sweep came out and inspected the chimney and said it was fine.It is run thru the interior of the house.It almost looks like a metal liner in the chimney.I'll try to get some photos next time I'm there.I have never seen a setup quite like this one.It appears it was designed with a wood stove in mind when it was built.I cant tell how close any of the framing is,but the the thimble goes thru cement or so it appears.The clearance to the ceiling appears to be good,I'll measure it for sure next time.It does have a drop acoustical ceiling.

Hmm, yeah...not at all how I had it pictured. Some pics would really help a lot. Rick

I have an un-insulated basement and a small wood stove down there. I guarantee you that it can't kick enough heat to do much good upstairs. I can fire it at sun-up and it is after noon before it is sixty five or seventy down there starting out in the mid fifties. The walls just suck up all of the heat. And the draft through the clay thimble and into an 8X12 tile lined chimney was crap until I put a SS liner in it. Now it drafts like a Hoover.

For a basement install in the ESW line I would recommend the 30. The sucker can kick some major heat.

Ok,stupid question.If they need to put in a liner how would you connect it?The clay thimble and flue form an L,there is no room,maybe a couple of inches below where the thimble and flue come together.Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.