Englander Lazy Flame Issue and Unused Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flowercat

Dec 27, 2008
East
There have been many discussions on the Englander stoves having issues with a Lazy Flame and unused pellets in the burn pot. I had this issue again this morning and wrote the tech support group and email. As usual the response was quick. Attached is a picture of the issue and the email response. I tried what was recommended and also cleaned the vent pipe again. I am using only Northern Pellets which have been of high quality.

This issue isn't always consistent and there is no real specific resolution. I have cleaned the vent pipe when it happens and that seems to be the best option even though I just cleaned it about a week ago this time.

Here is my email and the response.

have you cleaned out the combustion blower area and down in the bottom
of the heat exchanger behind the baffle plate that sits above the burn
pot. it sounds as if there is a plug somewhere.

Owner wrote:
> My stove appears to be having issues with pellets remaining in the
> burn pot and a lazy flame. I cleaned the vent pipe a week ago and when
> I started running the stove yesterday it ran fine at reasonably high
> pellet rates. It appears that when the burn pot gets full of unused
> pellets like the picture shows it has the problem. I did notice some
> clinkers yesterday when I cleaned it. As I ran the stove into this
> morning I noticed the problem. I have attached some pictures of the
> issue.
>
> I know some of the common reasons for this type of problem. Can you
> recommend anything that I could change at a stove level to resolve it?
>
I am a supporter of the pellet stove industry and have been very happy with the stove, savings from lack of oil use and being able to keep the heat at a reasonable level.

I realize it is a new industry yet the it seems like there is a lack of real standards for pellet mills, pellet stove manufacturers and the support for the stoves.

Based on how the government has ruined our once great nation I am not for more government over site either. They would just use idiots to make it worse than what it is now and it would then be heavily taxed. I am not saying that more specific standards would have necessarily resolved or prevented my lazy flame issue. With oil at about $90 a barrel and the tax credits being extended for next year I believe the industry is going to continue to grow and expand its customer base. I think the industry needs a more consistent approach so that those like me that aren't mechanic's can support the stoves better.

Attachments

• Stove Issue Example Pellets-1.jpg
    Stove Issue Example Pellets-1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 264
Have you made 100% sure that the OAK isn't plugged? Some of us here in the middle of this storm (me included) had an issue with the fine, powdery snow clogging up the OAK screen and choking off the air to the stove. My flame got progressively lazier until I checked the outside air screen....plugged with snow. Cleaned it, and stove went immediately back to normal great burn.

The snow drifted and plugged the OAK in my rear garage stove this morning too .

Status
Not open for further replies.