Englander Multi fuel heat output and settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Indiana

Feeling the Heat
Dec 5, 2010
Earth
Hello all and this is a great place for information. My question to all you pellet burners. I installed my timbers ridge 49-trcpm in October 2010. The original settings on the control board was 1-3-1. On the 35°F days I would run the stove on 7-8 heat settings. I couldn't keep the 1st floor above 67°F. So I have been plaing around with the LFF and LBA. On the heat settings 4-6 and 1-3-1, I took a thermal reading of the center top of the door and the glass. I got readings of 185°F and 240°F. After a bit of tweeking I set the LFF and LBA on 4-4-1. Now my temp readings are 355°F and 542°F. The flame height is just shy of the heat exchanger with a nice cool blue base. I ran it all night with the outside temps in the low to mid 20's on 4-6 and 4-4-1 and woke up to the house at 72°F. Too hot. I'm still doing some tweeking and have settled on 3-3-1. My real question is how hot is too hot for this stove? I have yet to recieved any E codes so I'm assuming the stove can handle these temps. Does this sound OK or even safe. How high is too high for the flame.

Indy,

I have the same stove. Factory settings for the bottom 3 buttons are supposed to be 1-1-1 on pellets. It's about 29 degrees here, and the stove has the great room at 72 degrees and the back of the house at 68 on settings 3-8., burning hardwood Premier pellets.

Not sure how your stove started out at 1-3-1, but the settings I mentioned above came straight from Mike H. at Englander. I too played around with them in the beginning, but ended right back at the factory setting and she's burning like a champ.

EDIT: Do you have the stove on a stat? That should remedy the "too hot house" problem. The stove can be set for On-Off, or Hi-Lo burning also.

Bought a thermostat today at HD. Plan to install it this week after work. I'm going to keep playing with the settings antil I'm satisfied. Trying to get the highest heat output with the lest amount of pellets. I plan on keeping the house at 68-69 degrees. The stat will help eith theat for sure. The plus so far is that the propane furnace is still cold from the end of last March. Don't plan on using it at all.

Indy3 said:
Bought a thermostat today at HD. Plan to install it this week after work. I'm going to keep playing with the settings antil I'm satisfied. Trying to get the highest heat output with the lest amount of pellets. I plan on keeping the house at 68-69 degrees. The stat will help eith theat for sure. The plus so far is that the propane furnace is still cold from the end of last March. Don't plan on using it at all.

Keep the stat about 15' away from the stove, and off to one side....NOT directly across from it or you'll get false heat readings. Now that the colder weather is starting, I will be switching my stove from On-Off to Hi-Lo soon.

BTW, that 3-3-1 setting you mentioned will use more pellets than necessary.....if you want to keep pellet usage to a minimum, try the 1-1-1 setting I mentioned.

on 1-1-1 and 1-3-1 I get very little heat putput compated to 3-3-1 and 3-4-1. This stove in 1-1-1 is like a race car being held back. It just want to perform and run hot. Nice machine when I get it cooking. My real question was it safe at those temps in my original post? I understand is's a room heater nut this animal can go if you let it out of it's cage.

Indy3 said:
on 1-1-1 and 1-3-1 I get very little heat putput compated to 3-3-1 and 3-4-1. This stove in 1-1-1 is like a race car being held back. It just want to perform and run hot. Nice machine when I get it cooking. My real question was it safe at those temps in my original post? I understand is's a room heater nut this animal can go if you let it out of it's cage.

If the hi limit is working on that stove it is safe as long as you don't do something like stick your body parts where it is hot.

Last fall I ran into the same sort of problem with mine. That whole pellet consumption vs heat output balancing act. So what I did was monitor the heat output with a IR thermometer in comparison to the settings. Took me a couple of weeks of tweaking and trail and error but now on the back of my manual I have a listing of heat output / bottom settings / feed and fan settings and either pellets/ corn or a combo in a graph style format. i figured it would come in handy from year to year since my memory is pretty much nadda.

I dont have it with me right now but i can post my findings later tonight and you might be able use some of it.

Right now i'm running on pure corn and my bottom buttons are 1 2 1. my house for the most part is around 70 degrees.

Well I spent the day changing the lower settings on my multi fuel stove. I started on 1-1-1 and ended on 5-6-1. I took temperature readings with my thermal gun on each of the settings after 1/2 an hour to let the stove change temperature. I took readings of the front door (center metal part), front glass, air blower grate, and vent. The temperature readings were incredible. I left the heat range on 4 and blower on 6 for the test.

1-1-1 = 240,282,219,127
1-2-1 = 233,270,204,120
1-3-1 = 231,252,184,120

2-2-1 = 220,260,190,122
2-3-1 = 238,290,199,125
2-4-1 = 245,295,205,140

3-2-1 = 252,327,233,131
3-3-1 = 274,327,228,134

4-1-1
4-2-1 All three of these setting the flame was too extream (too much fuel and too much air)
4-3-1
4-4-1 = 315,546,303,160
4-5-1 = 400,570,360,177 (This setting proved to be the best for heat output and pellet consumption. I was able to keep the downstairs at 70 degees and the 4 bedrooms upstairs at 66 degrees. This comes at a cost of 1 and 1/2 bags of pellets per day. I realize that I might be expecting too much form this stove. My first floor is an open floor plan with large rooms. The stove is in the corner of a 18 x 38 room that is my family room and kitchen with 9 foot ceilings. Even at 1 1/2 to 2 bags per day, I am very pleased with the stove. I'm still saving a ton on propane.)

Sorrry Admin. My computer locked up and I couldn"t click out so it posted 10 times. Feel free to delete the rest of the posts.

Indy3

This is an old post i found and revisiting.
I am experimenting like this as well, with some of the same results.
This was done almost a year ago, Are there any new findings?
My findings are this stove has a large room air blower of 250 cfm.
It cools the air fast - but it moves more of it.
Mine does seem to want more fuel, going to try that next.

Status
Not open for further replies.