Englander nc13 users

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stuigi

Jan 24, 2010
North East PA
I was curious whether anyone removes the plug to dump ashes. It seems like a waste of energy to me as well as a difficult task.

I pulled the plug out and replaced it with a brick. I can scoop out the whole stove with the shovel anyway.

That was one of the first things I did. The brick I got was just a little big so used one from the side and the new one for the side.

I had a feeling not many would be using that ash plug. It's a poorly designed system. I presume that just covering the hole with a brick provides enough of a seal to prevent air from entering. Am i correct?

I use a shovel too. I left the plug in mine, just ground the eye off flush so its not in the way.

stuigi said:
I had a feeling not many would be using that ash plug. It's a poorly designed system. I presume that just covering the hole with a brick provides enough of a seal to prevent air from entering. Am i correct?

if not, compacted ash migrating between the bricks provides the seal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.