Englander NC30 leg question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

synthnut

Nov 21, 2007
NY
Hi guys,

Well I went to Home Depot and got my Englander NC30 at a reduced price since it was the floor model ...No big deal to me , and I saved more than the tax on it and don't have to worry about having the stove shipped ....As I said in earlier threads, I am going to be installing this stove in my fireplace ....A few questions first ....My cabin is 150 miles away, and I will be cutting down the 9" legs that came with this stove ....The stove is now mounted on a pallet with the pedastal base attached to it ....I will be putting the legs on this stove and will be cutting them so that the stove is actually sitting as low as possible to make my install easier ......I will be making a plate to go in my hearth so that heat does not go up the chimney ....I will be leaving the flex pipe somewhat loose in a hole in this plate ...Not a gaping loose hole , but enough so I can move the pipe around and hopefully up and down to put it on the thimble of the stove ...Please keep in mind that this stove will be in the living room in a log cabin that has a cathedral ceiling ..There will be ceiling fans hanging down from the ridge of the high peak to keep the warm air up at the top moving .....A few questions I have if you would ....

1) The NC30 will be sitting part IN the fireplace, and part OUT of the fireplace ....If I have a plate to prevent the heat to go up my chimney, do I really need a fan in the stove for the heat to leave this stove properly ? .....Once it's out in the room I have the ceiling fans to HOPEFULLY push some air into other rooms of the house ....

2) For those of you that have used the flex pipe for your connnection to get the flue up to the top of the chimney, did the flex pipe fit the stove thimble properly, or did you need and adaptor ? .....If it's tight , what did you use to stretch the flex pipe or is that not an option ? .....

3) Now hear's the biggee !!.....I would like to install the stove so that the BOTTOM of the ash drawer is only about 1/2 and inch above the floor .... This will hopefully give me the clearance I need for the install ....If not , I'm sunk !!.......My question is this ....How much do I have to cut off the bottom of the 9 inch legs to enable the stove to sit with the BOTTOM of the drawer 1/2 inch off of the ground ? .....I realize that this sounds very low, but after looking at fireplace inserts , I don't think that I am doing anything different than what the insert people are doing .... This setup will still allow for air to circulate around the bottom of the stove , and will still allow me the room for the ash drawer .... As I said earlier , I could put the legs on a measure it myself , but the stove is already bolted to a pallet , and I have a tractor that has a fork attachement that will allow me to put this stove right inside the door of my cabin !! ( I sure make it sound easy don't I ? ) ( Pray that I don't drive my backhoe through the cabin please !! ) ....

Thanks to all of you for your help in advance ..Great group here !!....Sincerely, Jim

sounds like you should have bought the nc13 instead ,i would be hesatant about cutting those legs and such

lexybird,

I would be cutting the legs on the NC13 also .....You only save 3/4 " top of flue by going to the NC13 ....I looked at them side by side You also cut your firebox size just about in half by going to the NC13 ...Then your entire stove is sitting in the fireplace when using the NC13 also , so with a fireplace install, I would imagine that one would have to install the fan kit .... The NC13 is a good stove for what it is intended, but I really need to longer burn times of the NC30 ....Thanks for your reply ...Jim

It sounds like by cutting the legs shorter you will be tossing all the manufacturer clearance requirements out the window. Stove manufactures test, test and test again and then they report the minimum clearances required. Again, cutting the legs shorter violates manufacturers specifications. Whether your stove installation requires a local inspection or not, if there should be a structure fire deemed to be caused in any way by your wood stove the FIRST thing a homeowners insurance company will look at is "Was this stove installed per specs." If not installed per specs you face rejection on a fire claim.

Good luck - install safe - burn safe.

Shari

Thanks for your safety concerns, but they do make legs that are 3" shorter if you want to pay $120 + for them from the manufacturer .... By cutting the legs down , I am not disregarding the safety spec's of the manufacturer at all .... If you look at the insert specifications, you will see that the insert that Englander makes sits lower also ... The shorter legs are an option for those who either can't , or don't have the experience of cutting the legs already included down to a shorther size ... Thanks for your reply, Jim

Can someone please answer my questions ? ....I know there are quite a few folks out there that have this stove ....Thank You ....Sincerely, Jim

My mistake, the gold legs are over $200 ....The black ones are just over $100 plus shipping ....Jim

You won't regret getting the blower...on real cold days it will make a big difference.

As far as cutting down the legs yeah that's something I would do if I had too. After all it is sitting on a hearth. Can't help you on 2. That's not my lane and it's a critical task.

My only advice is to not bother with the ash drawer. Just let it fill up and do what most folks do...just take 3-4 shovels of ash out in the morning and rake the hot coals forward. Good luck with the install.

Thanks for your reply ..... I figured that I would like to have some air circulating around the bottom of the stove too so that all the air in the area will be warmed ....I agree with you too that there should be no problem as it is sitting on the hearth ....By leaving the drawer in tact , I can always use it in another room with the pedestal should I not like it in the fireplace .... If I could afford it , a Hearthstone would look GREAT in the living room and I think I would like the more even heat that soapstone affords ....Another day for that ..... Right now I have to figure out how much I can take off of the legs ....They make 6 inch legs , so I know I can take off at least 3 inches .....The more the better as far as I'm concerned .... I want just enough room to open the drawer without it dragging on the hearth ....I would surely not want to be pulling the stove out any time soon, so I think I will follow your advise and put the blower in before I install the unit .....Thanks again for your reply ....Sincerely, Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.