Englander or Cent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amkazen

Dec 29, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
Hi, I am looking to buy a small wood stove to heat our master bedroom suite (sleeping area, sitting area, bathroom, closet) of approx 850 sq. ft. After looking at the "abundance" of stove stores in Albuquerque that sold wood stoves (3 of them, the rest sold pellet or gas only), I have settled on either the Englander 13-NC sold at Home Depot for $499 or the Century FW240007 sold at Lowes for $469. I have not decided which wall the stove will be placed against (one wall is drywall and the other is 6" solid cedar logs). We currently have a Pacific Energy wood stove in the corner of the living room against the cedar log walls which does a great job of heating the main living area of the house. This stove has done great for the past 5 years but the corners of the house (the bedrooms) do not get much heat. So, we though a 2nd wood stove would be nice. The prices at the wood stove stores were expensive, with the least expensive one (a Jotul) @ $999. Home Depot & Lowes were less tyhan 1/2, and after reading another post on this site, I think if I wait another 2 weeks to buy at Home Depot or Lowes I can get the NC-13 or FW240007 for even less money.

So, do you think either of these 2 stoves is better suited for the heating of the master bedroom than the other one?

Thanks in advance for the comments.

Edit:
There is a LOPI MODEL 440-T WOOD STOVE for sale $200 on EBay about 30 miles from me. Would this be a better quality stove than the above? The Lopi is not a "pretty" stove with the brass doors and shape of the stove top but for $200.....

Edit:
The ceiling in the bedroom is approx. 8 1/2 feet high. The wall with drywall on it is just below the ridgeline of the roof so there would be more piping necessary on this wall than if the stove were to go across the room against the cedar logs, as that wall is about 11 feet in from the roof gutters. Does the height of the pipe make any difference in using the Englander or Century stoves?

I would check regulations first. As a general rule, wood stoves are not permitted in bedrooms or sleeping areas.

That Lopi looks like a decent stove. The seller better change the listing though. The way he has the shipping terms set up he is committing to ship it free anywhere in the U.S. even though he indicates local pickup or delivery in the text of the ad.

Thanks for the replies.

My wife decided the Lopi was too ugly for her, and we like the responses Englander has given to various issues on this site, so right now the Englander is the top choice.

That is a good thought about the location of the wood stove in the bedroom area. Hmm, I wonder if I can find something one the "net" about State of NM and/or Sandoval County rules about this new consideration.

You don't have to look far. On the first page of the Englander users manual it says "DO NOT INSTALL IN A SLEEPING ROOM".

Wood stoves not allowed in bedrooms. Outside of bedroom go with the Century. If you really want a stove in the bedroom you'll have to go with a direct vent gas stove. All combustion air is outside air. The unit is sealed off from the inside and uses no inside air. We have a large master suite and put a Lopi Berkshire in as the main heating source for that area. I hooked it up to a thermostat and it turns itself on and off as needed. Its so nice to wake up, turn over in the middle of tthe night and see the room aglow when it is on.

mike's right about stoves in sleeping rooms , it must be a 1005 sealed system , no woodstove will give you that , and even with the direct vent gas , i would suggest Co detector be installed. short of DV gas i would recommend not installing a combustion heating device in sleeping quarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.