Englander PDVC 25 How many pellets do you use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris04626

Minister of Fire
I use about a bag a day. HAve it set up on thermostat. But basically its staying warm enough in here that the temp dont go below my thermostat set temp and remains off and the stove in its lowest setting.

Should i be burning one full bag in this scenario or is something wrong?

last year i ran mine with a thermostat set @ 70 put in 1 bag every 12 hrs,
the hopper wasnt empty the top #'s @9-9 the lower #'s @5-6-1 burning
a.w.f's that was in the coldest months. this year i'm burnin green teams
so i may need to readjust the settings

just installed mine this week and temps in high 30's to mid 40's i'm burning about a bag every 15 hrs. set at either 1-1 or 2-2.

still trying to figure out how everything works and hoping to set up a t-stat.

also what brand are you using?

settings 2-5 first hour then change to 1-3, the lower settings at 3-4-1 burning greenway's for now (decent pellet by the way) saving the good stuff for the really cold days getting at least 24hours per bag

mike, how did you settle on those numbers for the bottom? i'm thinking i need to change mine to get more efficient

Jay, went through a few different brands of pellets and i kept on trying different settings with each brand, it seems to run very good on 3-4-1 for most pellets if i burn the okies or hammer hot ones i have to readjust to 3-6-1 or 3-5-1, but remember every stove is different my advice is to try different settings, what worked for me may not work for you but you should be able get your stove to run more efficient by trying different settings, good luck!

mike56 said:
....but remember every stove is different my advice is to try different settings....

And even with the same stove, every exhaust set-up is different, and that has some effect also.

Chris04626 said:
I use about a bag a day. HAve it set up on thermostat. But basically its staying warm enough in here that the temp dont go below my thermostat set temp and remains off and the stove in its lowest setting.

Should i be burning one full bag in this scenario or is something wrong?
It`s still the shoulder season here and 1 bag a day seems like a bit much . Have you got the windows open?

mike56 said:
Jay, went through a few different brands of pellets and i kept on trying different settings with each brand, it seems to run very good on 3-4-1 for most pellets if i burn the okies or hammer hot ones i have to readjust to 3-6-1 or 3-5-1, but remember every stove is different my advice is to try different settings, what worked for me may not work for you but you should be able get your stove to run more efficient by trying different settings, good luck!

thanks, let the experiments begin. i am doing one at a time so here goes 5-4-1

today i got 16 hrs on a bag, mid 40's outside

Correction to my above post. That was the Harman P-38 I was referring to. The PDVC is in the garage/workshop and I don`t burn it overnight but I have to guess it would burn close to a bag a day on low. It might not be the best stove for shoulder season and trying to conserve pellets but in the colder months it doesn`t seem to burn any more pellets per comparable heat settings than the P-38 .
The Harman has the uncanny ability to burn very low for 40 hrs + but the fact is not a whole lot of heat is being produced.
Common sense dictates less fuel in= less heat out. You just can`t change the law of physics and unless pellets are extremely cheap I`d be better off using the oil furnace for heat during the shoulder seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.