Englander Stove Choice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbird560

Feb 2, 2011
SW Arkansas
Trying to make up my mind. My floorplan is 1152 sq ft downstairs (32 x 36). looking at the plan like you were drawing it, the right side is about 20' wide x 32' long which is made up a
LR on the south end and a open kitchen on the north end. This space is all open with 10' side walls and a 10/12 pitch cathedral roof on the whole 32' x 36' space. There will be a good amount of glass area that will include 2 insulated glass doors in the LR and 2 pieces of 1/4" thick single pane fixed glass in the gable that are triangular with 5' high with a 5' base (45 degree angle). All windows other than the fixed glass will be vinyl thermopane. The stove will have to go in the SE corner of the open living area described above. There is an open loft above the left side which is 13' X 32' divided into a bedroom, bath, and closet/utility area on the lower floor. Walls R-19 and roof about R-22 (6" fiberglass bats).

We live on a mountain in SW Arkansas and winters can be quite cold 10*-25* lows but lots of nights with lows 30*-45* . This all brings me to my questions. From what I have read,
overnight burns with the NC-13 is wishful thinking for the most part. Everyone seems to like the NC-30 for its big firebox (N/S loading, etc.) and overnight burn potential. Of course this is assuming that the stove fits your space and won't run you out of the house. I have read that you can learn to build smaller fires, etc. to get less heat and longer burns. I also read somewhere to install a butterfly damper in the flue to better control the burn rate and/or heat shields on the back and sides to scrub off some of the heat. I intend to use this stove for all of my winter heat (with backup propane I hope to never use). My gut tells me that the best choice for my needs is the NC-30 but being a novice I would like some advice from the experts here.

Thanks for your considered opinions.
Jay

I think the 30 would be way overkill. I have the 13 in a poorly insulated double wide with old windows in a much colder climate (average January high/low is 22/4 degrees). The place is a piece of cake to heat with 20-30 degree outside temps (I prefer inside temps below 70). My stove will leave enough coals to start another fire in the morning but it's usually not hot to the touch. I wouldn't think a real overnight burn would be required in the climate and house you're talking about.

Alan

I've got a 30 in a 1580sqft house. I've been able to learn how to control it well enough to not run ourselves out. I couldn't imagine putting the 30 into an ~1150 sqft house.

Unless your house is REALLY drafty and poorly insulated (which it doesn't sound like it is), I think you'll have trouble letting the 30 run clean without putting out too much heat, especially giving your climate.

Given your situation, you might do OK with the 13. If you put a good chuck of oak, or some other hardwood that coals well, you should be able to load it up at night and still have enough coals left to relight in the morning.

-SF

Thanks for the good advice. I guess the NC 13 is the best choice for my needs in the under $1000 price range.
Are there others that in that price range that might be better?
Thanks,
Jbird

Welcome to the forums, Jay !!

The 13 is an awesome heater. I have it in a 550 SF accessory apartment, and with the connecting doors open, it heats the adjoining 500 SF of main house fine (the rest of the house is heated by the PE insert), until the temps drop down to zero or so. If it can heat sideways, I'm sure it can heat "up" :) A ceiling fan would probably help there, if you have one, or can add one.

Burn times depend on how you load the wood in the stove. East/ West ( E/W) is great for larger splits, but the stove seems to better like a North/South (N/S) loading. Fire Ant is cutting his splits to 10" lengths, for N/S, and we are working on the same. The difference in burn times/heat output is about 2 hours, a significant increase. It allows for a semi overnight burn, and if it works here for me, I'm sure it will work for you in your climate.

Not to thwart you from checking out other stoves, how ever. Shop away, pal, shop away ;-P

Jbird560 said:
Thanks for the good advice. I guess the NC 13 is the best choice for my needs in the under $1000 price range.
Are there others that in that price range that might be better?
Thanks,
Jbird

For your climate, the 13NC would be the way to go. You have a pretty mild winter for the most part. If you want longer burns without going larger than the 13NC you might want to look at a Woodstock Fireview. About the same heat output, but longer burn times. The cost is much higher, though. Not sure what your budget limitations might be.

The 13 should work well for you.

Side note: SW Kansas has some weird ass averages. Ulysses Kansas coldest month has an average high of 45 but an average low of 16. That a very odd temp swing.

Eileen,
With the short splits and the N/S loading what kind of burn times are you getting on your 13?
Thanks,
Jay

A local store has a Drolet Celtic on sale for $460 (I think they're getting out of stoves). Looks like a nice stove, comparable to the 13. Did a little research on Drolets and people seem to be happy with them. Unfortunately it was bigger than what I needed so I left it be. They have plenty of other models to check out as well.

This is probably one of the better deals you'll find on Englander:

http://www.overstockstoves.com/index.html

Alan

Jbird560 said:
Eileen,
With the short splits and the N/S loading what kind of burn times are you getting on your 13?
Thanks,
Jay

The Dixette is getting 6 - 8 hours, depends on the load. Temps drop after 6 hours, but to reasonable number (like 65f with it being 0f outside). Under zero, well both stoves were cranking, and getting 2 AM & 2 Pm feedings.. But the house maintained 70f easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.