Englander Stove Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ETPHONE

Jan 18, 2007
Is it normal to smell the pellets burning like you would smell wood burning during operation? DUring the burn I monitored the room using a TMX 412 air monitor and all level were safe for oxygen and CO.

Only if you had the door open recently or the pipe is not vented and sealed properly...... Or the exhaust is near a operable window or door....
Describe your vent setup?
Did you seal all the joints on the pv pipe with rtv?

You have an exhaust air leak. At least that's my opinion. When the stove was installed did you seal the joints on the exhaust? Sometimes even the screws will leave enough space for a slip of smoke to pass. Because the vent on a pellet stove is positive, it's unlikely that a leak in the door or burn area could be the cause, HOWEVER, before I replaced the gasket on the door of my stove I had a frequent, maybe twice daily, smell of smoke. I think I had a bad gasket and the rise in pressure from high burning puffed the seal and let a little smoke in the room. I wouldn't worry about it, but do the dollar test on the door seal and check the joints on the exhaust. If you have elbows that are adjustable, carefully check the ribs and make sure the leak isn't there. Buy yourself a tube or two of high temp silicone and have at the joints.

As an after thought, have you cleaned the flue? Could you have a back pressure problem from blockage in the pipe

I have not yet sealed the joints with the RTV sealant. Stupid me I was just doing a test burn and forgot about it. I was in such a rush to perform a test burn before the season went out. I still have to paint the exhaust pipe so I am Going to have to dismantle the exhaust pipe. Thanks Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.