englander t-stat mod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
As I understand it, my englander only has the capability of running from high to low when using a t-stat. I would prefer to have an on off program. SO far the few times I have started it up it has not always started so I am not sure if it is reliable enough to be an on off stove. I work at a company that makes circuit boards for larger companies such as IBM and GE. I asked one of our engineers if he could modify the control board to be an on off rather then a high low. He said it shouldn't be a problem it might take a couple hours but he could do it. Obviously my used stove is no longer under warranty so that wouldn't be a problem. I am just worried about the reliability of the startup of the stove. Any thoughts or concerns?

I have an Englander and have considered the thermostat option. I would think in the colder winter months here, turning the Englander or any other stove on and off to heat would be counter productive. If it is relatively warm like now that option would best support my needs as the temperature would remain higher and the stove wouldn't constantly be turning on and off. The stove isn't designed for being turned off by a thermostat as you stated. Whether the auto start would be reliable enough to start when needed is the question. The other issue is the stove I have has to wait to cool down before you can start it again. I would guess you would have to wait until the shutdown procedure is completed before it initiates the startup process.

D, what model are we talking here, or is your Englander the type with flat burn pot that requires periodic scraping?

Because according to Mike Holton, and as I have learned, my 25-PDVC requires periodic scraping of the burn pot to maintain operation that also negates auto starting like you are hoping. I guess Englander's multi-fuels have a different design that auto-clears the burn pot. If the design is anything like my Jamestown then it has a focused trapezoid shape burn pot that clears when outside air intake is opened all the way.

Still, I would love to see how you make out. Please keep us posted!

I suspect even my 25-PDVC could auto-start several times before the ash buildup would prevent starting.

dac122 said:
......I guess Englander's multi-fuels have a different design that auto-clears the burn pot. ......

Agitator in burn pot.

imacman said:
dac122 said:
......I guess Englander's multi-fuels have a different design that auto-clears the burn pot. ......

Agitator in burn pot.

Yup that definitely helps too.

Status
Not open for further replies.