Englander Thickness

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stove body is 3/16" seven gauge and the top plate is 1/4" three gauge.

cmonSTART said:
What worries me is that BroBart probably didn't even have to look that up.

Actually I didn't. When looking for a stove I couldn't find that info anywhere so the minute the box came off the top of it my digital caliper was put to work. :lol:

I then went to looking for something to make me feel better about it not being a 1/4" and 3/8" tank like my old stove. What I found was that the secondary combustion manifolds were designed to provide rigidity to the sides of the firebox and the step top bend provides additional rigidity to the top plate. Since warping was all that concerned me, at that point I got right over it and fired that puppy up.

cmonSTART said:
Is that why that step is there?

Yes...structural rigidity. Rick

cmonSTART said:
Is that why that step is there? I've often wondered about that.

Originally stoves had the two levels for different temperatures for cooking. If you measure the temp on the top of a step top stove it is hotter on the upper part than the lower. The 30's hottest point is on the face of the step. Best I can figure, that is because the flame impingement baffle in front of the flue opening is right there so the gases headed for the chimney smack into it before going up the pipe.

Looking at stoves like the Enviro Kodiaks you see that they use 1/4" plate on top of the step top stoves and 5/16" on the top of the same models with flat tops. Gotta be the warp prevention factor in play.

That Lopi Liberty of fossil's has a 3/16" body but 5/16" top plate WITH a step top. Big boy that one is.

I like having a lot of hot steel in my living room. Rick

BrotherBart said:
cmonSTART said:
Is that why that step is there? I've often wondered about that.

Originally stoves had the two levels for different temperatures for cooking. If you measure the temp on the top of a step top stove it is hotter on the upper part than the lower. The 30's hottest point is on the face of the step. Best I can figure, that is because the flame impingement baffle in front of the flue opening is right there so the gases headed for the chimney smack into it before going up the pipe.

Looking at stoves like the Enviro Kodiaks you see that they use 1/4" plate on top of the step top stoves and 5/16" on the top of the same models with flat tops. Gotta be the warp prevention factor in play.

That Lopi Liberty of fossil's has a 3/16" body but 5/16" top plate WITH a step top. Big boy that one is.

BroBart, where do you put your stove therm. on your 30?

gangsplatt said:
BroBart, where do you put your stove therm. on your 30?

I have one dead center on the lower step and one on the side between the secondary manifold and the firebrick. I don't pay much attention to the one on the side. It is just there from when I first started burning in the stove to determine at what temp my Stove Stat was turning on the blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.