Englander upper and lower auger bearing differences?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joelswork

Nov 9, 2010
central TN
Ok, when I replaced the gaskets I found that my upper bearing allowed a lot of movement on the upper auger...is that normal or is the bearing shot?

i look after 2 englanders, the pdvc and pdv. both do the same thing and work fine for years now. i do however hit them with a shot of high temp grease once a year. it goes in those little fittings with a grease gun.

are you having a problem with jams or something?

well, my problem is with the combustion blower/lack of combustion air. I'm gonna replace the bearings on my combustion blower motor (bit of a squeal on start up) but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm getting air sucked in from the auger tube. I replaced all of the gaskets about a month ago (except the burn pot and mike from englander recommended not to do that one due to taking the whole stove apart) and when I did the auger bearing gaskets I noticed the upper one has about 10 degrees of play, the lower has none. I did grease them up but I was wondering if I might be getting air sucked through there instead of all of it coming from the burn pot.

The clinkers I am getting are in the front of the pot. Most of the flame is near the back of the pot and my lower auger is very sooty. The way the burn pot on this old tank is set up, I think it makes sense that if I have an air leak it would be robbing the amount of air being pulled from mostly the front of the pot. I've tried all kinds of pellets this year (my only year using this old thing) and all do the same, 4 hours and I have to clean out the front and sides of the burn pot or the pileup begins.

I do notice more and more frequent squeals with the upper auger but being the last of one of my pellet tons, I thought it might just be fines. Looks like they use the same bearing so the top one is not right. Would that cause air intrustion?

joelswork said:
Ok, when I replaced the gaskets I found that my upper bearing allowed a lot of movement on the upper auger...is that normal or is the bearing shot?
The augers are different lengths so you would probably find more play in one than the other.

Well, the upper one flops down...the lower has no play. I think they are very close in length

Joelswork

I replaced the upper bearing block on my PDV last night. The flame looks a lot better now. I think I had an air leak through the bearing. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by movement. The bearing does tilt down a little bit because the auger goes in on a downward angle. I didn't mess around with it to much as I was afraid I would break some kind of air seal.

joelswork said:
Well, the upper one flops down...the lower has no play. I think they are very close in length
Look again, the top one has 3 flights, the lower has 4. (longer) But yes the lower one is tighter. There is significant play in the top one and upon re-installation it needs to be re-aligned (centered) when reinstalling.

When I pulled them out, neither had any grease in them. after greasing them, I noticed the floppiness of the upper. I'm not talking about a bit of wiggling, it falls down probably 10-15 degrees and the lower has practically none. I did center and align it as described by the installation manual. The lower was a bit of a pain to align but the upper didn't really matter where I put it, there was too much slop in it. The bearings are the same part number and the ends of the augers/mounting are the same...there shouldn't be that much difference. I guess my big question is if that would provide enough air intrusion to be a problem. The way the grease flowed out of the bearing, I'm guessing it could be an area of concern.

the bearings are identical, pillow blocks, they allow the auger to sort of float in the tube , now the upper should always have a bit more movement due to the shorter length of the auger (principle of radius) the shorter the auger the more deflection(yaw rate) you see in it with the same distance covered by the tip longer auger moves the same distance at the tip but since its 11 inches long and the top is 6 inches long the actual degrees of travel are roughly half

Status
Not open for further replies.