Englander vs. Century

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkommer

Jan 2, 2008
Kentucky
I have been keeping my eye on the Englander's at Home Depot waiting for the price to drop. I have come across a Century on Clearance at Lowe's for $576.00
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...ctId=135410-1639-FW300010&detail;=&lpage=none
Plus I have a 20% off coupon they will honor so my total price for the stove would be roughly $460. It is the Century Hearth 2,000 sq. ft.
My question...How does the Century compare with the Englander-30? Should I wait until the spring for the price of the Englander to drop, it is currently $899? I have spent a few hours reading past threads and can't really determine which is the better stove. I would be willing to pay more for the Englander if it is better.
I will be installing the stove in my insulated basement of 1600 sq. ft. Thanks for all your help.

Jko, I've had my Century Hearth for 5 years now and think you'd be pleased with it
for your basement. Especially in Kentucky's climate. I'd jump on it at that price. : )
How do I get me one of those 20% off coupons ?

Isn't the Century an Englander with a different name so Lowe's can differentiate itself from Home Depot?

The Lowes around here carries both Century Hearth and Englander.

Caz said:
Jko, I've had my Century Hearth for 5 years now and think you'd be pleased with it
for your basement. Especially in Kentucky's climate. I'd jump on it at that price. : )
How do I get me one of those 20% off coupons ?

Search Ebay for Home Depot coupons. Most coupons are 10% off but every once in a while you will find a 20% off. Home Depot will argue with you saying they only accept 10% off coupons but Lowe's will accept without asking anything (Home Depot will accept if you say you will just take your business to Lowe's). I have bought about 10 coupons over the past few years for about $15-20 each. I recently saved $300 at Lowe's with a coupon I paid $15 for.

myzamboni said:
Isn't the Century an Englander with a different name so Lowe's can differentiate itself from Home Depot?

nope
englander, summers heat, and timber ridge are the 3 put out by englander

Englander, all the way. Customer support is here every day. That alone is worth even a couple hundred extra.
Isn't Century part of CFM, who is part of VC? Given their customer support record lately. I would go with Englander, nuff said. Ugaa Bugga.

I agree with Hog, worth every cent, you couldnt ask for better costumer service. Id wait for the Eng to go on sale and even pay a bit more. and the 30s get great reviews here.

My vote's for the englander for several reasons, one of them being the baffle in the Englander is removable and I don't believe it is in the Century. Plus you just can't beat the customer support from Mike and Corie here.

actually , you know im pregudiced but i will say the CFM unit is a decent unit , i have an in law who has one in texas and they love it. and that is a pretty dang good price with that 20% off coupon. as much as i believe in the unit , with the way the 30's have sold this season , you may want to keep a close watch on the ones in stock ,they may not be around to get clearanced as much, certainly not the way it happened with last season (we essentially didnt have a winter and lowes pushed the button on clearance early and hard). this year has been a much better year for sales in season so left over stock likely will not be as commonly found.

a big part of me wants you to buy my 30 , i know you would love it, but another part of me would hate to see you miss out on a great deal on the CFM unit, which although the grumbles about VC may be rolling around, cfm built that unit and likely wiothout VC input. i wouldnt hold the parent company's rep at this time (which im not certain really isnt being a bit overblown (just my opinion guys dont lynch me) ) over the head of the unit in question. look at the ratings and testimonials from both sides simply concerning performance of the unit and decide from that. im not going to push either way. (conflict of interest in here for me to do so)

Oh cmon mike, OK I'll say it for ya, Run don't walk and get the damned Englander now, while you can.
As already stated, your customer service is here & now and tomorrow & the next day.
Not that you will prolly ever need it, but nice to know if your do, you will get a response quickly and not be sitting on phone for hours & days, or waiting for an email for a week telling you nothing. No brainer.
There I said it ;)

I have found a lot more info on the Englander than the Century. I am leaning toward holding out for a great deal on the Englander... probably won't be installing until the summer anyway. thanks for the replies.

I have a CFM240007, and it is my primary heat source. The price was right, it met my expectations, I have had no problems with it, and I called customer service during the install and they were somewhat helpful, but the guys here were more helpful. I am only in my second year with the stove, and am looking at hearthstone.

I would vote for the englander. What could be better than 2 guys here-direct factory reps.

Bob

njtomatoguy said:
I have a CFM240007, and it is my primary heat source. The price was right, it met my expectations, I have had no problems with it, and I called customer service during the install and they were somewhat helpful, but the guys here were more helpful. I am only in my second year with the stove, and am looking at hearthstone.

I would vote for the englander. What could be better than 2 guys here-direct factory reps.

Bob

thanks for the sentiment bob, in fairness im not sure that all stove companies sanction employees doing what corie and i do, but to be honest , the boss does see it on occasion and he is happy with the response we get (who wouldnt be, right) , but its a fun thing for me , im sure it is for corie as well, not a requirement or even a request as far as work goes. its just cause i / we(in respect for corie)wanna be here. if it makes our product look better , great, im not going to say its not good for ESW, but thats not why we are here. i personally have learned far more than ive "taught"in here, for that i see it as a great oppertunity for me as a professional (even if i dont act like one all the time (chuckle)) im glad to be able to hang out with you guys

stoveguy2esw said:
njtomatoguy said:

Bob

thanks for the sentiment bob, in fairness im not sure that all stove companies sanction employees doing what corie and i do, but to be honest , the boss does see it on occasion and he is happy with the response we get (who wouldnt be, right) , but its a fun thing for me , im sure it is for corie as well, not a requirement or even a request as far as work goes. its just cause i / we(in respect for corie)wanna be here. if it makes our product look better , great, im not going to say its not good for ESW, but thats not why we are here. i personally have learned far more than ive "taught"in here, for that i see it as a great oppertunity for me as a professional (even if i dont act like one all the time (chuckle)) im glad to be able to hang out with you guys

Well said Mike.
I have to say though, although not knowing ya in person, or what you look like. When I form a picture in my brain of you, its not too professional type looking LMAO.
Thats actually meant in a good way. I know ya golf, so your at least semi yuppie hahaha.
BTW my job is technically white collar. I don't think I fit the bill though ;)

Hogwildz said:
stoveguy2esw said:
njtomatoguy said:

Bob

Well said Mike.
I have to say though, although not knowing ya in person, or what you look like. When I form a picture in my brain of you, its not too professional type looking LMAO.
Thats actually meant in a good way. I know ya golf, so your at least semi yuppie hahaha.

ok i will procede to ruin my image now , here's a recent photo
100_0281.jpg

is that white collar enough for ya? lol, actually i had to travel to arizona on buisness, we took a coule detours being ahead of schedule (due to some hard driving , this shot was in the petrified forest national park http://www.nps.gov/pefo if you ever get out that way , you absolutely GOTTA stop there, its just off I-40, well worth the detour

Oh gee. An here I thought you were out collecting kindling for the petrified wood you were going to try and burn.

My vote’s for the englander for several reasons, one of them being the baffle in the Englander is removable and I don’t believe it is in the Century. Plus you just can’t beat the customer support from Mike and Corie here.

The Century does have a removable baffle. That said, I don't know if I could recommend this company due to lack of customer service. At the beginning of this season I inspected my stove and discovered the baffle had warped badly and had a large hole burned/rusted through it. I called CFM to make a claim. The process dragged out longer than I thought it should and I ended up contacting them several times due to lack of communication on their end. Perhaps it was impatience on my part, but I was less than impressed. Then the claim was denied due to overfiring. It appears, after research around the forum, that I was overfiring. The manual only states that you should not overfire. It does not give temp specs, just says to avoid glowing stove parts. Ridiculous. The stove has worked well for me, though. Being my only stove, I have nothing to compare it to. BUT, like so many others have stated, the customer service alone is worth the extra $$$. I've never run across any CFM folks around here offering help and advise. Heck, these guys have helped me with proper operation of my Century more than the manufacturer. I'd go with the Englander.

I have looked at both, waiting for the opportunity to catch one cheap (I AM cheap). After inspecting both, I believe I would prefer the Englander as it looks better built than the Century.

I am eying the 30* models from both, and the englander looks more receptive to north/south loading than the century. One thing I don't like about either is the lack of depth in the firebox in relation to the lip of the door. I am used to about 8" of depth with my "classic" stove, and visualize wood/coals rolling out of these stoves. North/south loading looks like one measure of prevention in that department. Call me paranoid, and tell me that is not an issue.

stoveguy2esw said:
Hogwildz said:
stoveguy2esw said:
njtomatoguy said:

Bob

Well said Mike.

HAHAHA, where is your golfing hat & knickers? ;)

Hogwildz said:
stoveguy2esw said:
Hogwildz said:
stoveguy2esw said:
njtomatoguy said:

Bob

Well said Mike.

HAHAHA, where is your golfing hat & knickers? ;)

actually i was looking to get some test fuel, at first i wanted to see if we could design a petrified woodburner, then an epiphany... build a "tumbleweed burner" would be a hit out west , no going out to get fuel , just wait for it too "blow on by" and grab it up!!! how's that for convienience? fuel that comes to you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.