Englander wood stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have one but people around the area I live in have been using them for years and love them. They are made about a hundred miles from here and have been for 25 years. If they made a little bigger fireplace insert I would replace mine with one in a heartbeat.

I have called to ask them a few questions and they actually have people that answer the phone and give you answers. Respond to email too. Not tell you to go ask the dealer. And they actually like DIY people, not look down their nose at them.

BrotherBart, very good, of course like any parent I worry about my kids.......and the grandkids, so I want them to get a good safe stove, thanks for the input.

He got one of the smaller units last year but did not get a chance to install. The local dealer here said this model would be on sale for a few weeks for about $700, seems a fair price.

The stove looks well made to me too.

Robbie.

BB, that fits the Big box store business model well! Of course they wont tell you to call your dealer, there dealers are BBS's, and BBS dont give a darn weither or not your happy, so the manufacture does it for them. Honerable! I guess thats why they are there! :D Robbie, there are known as cheap units that are epa approved. They are a fine choice for someone on a budget. They are not as heavy as some of the other steel stoves out there, but they work fine. the manufacture would be your point of support, HD isnt going to come out and trouble shoot the stove.... Thats what we are for!

They are good solid stoves - still made here in America - and what you are NOT getting is usually style and other extras. They offer a lot of stove for the money.

Many buyers - just as with cars and other things - will pay double or triple for design and style. That is why stoves are enameled and have Gold doors and all kinds of other features. However, with fuel prices being so high, many buyers are just looking for Heat for the $$. That is where Englander, Century and other such models shine.

I feel, And everyone here knows how I feel about Home Cheapo, the the budget stove from Englander is not bad at the price they are selling. Few would be considering a Soapstone stove. They could not afford most dealers offerings. So in this case they really are not taking your business. Abuchon Hardware also sell some US Steel EPA stoves for $499 one might want to check out.

Then there is the used route, but for the un educated it is risky, you chance ending up with someone's else abused junk

Not picking on dealers MSG. Especially my favorite Colorado dealer. In fact my next stove will probably come from the local dealerthat the ole Sierra came from. His kids anyway, Jim isn't with us any more.

I am just saying that Englander makes a fine quality UL/EPA rated stove that is a hell of a lot better material and build quality than stuff like Century, VZ etc. and provides good remote customer service for the do it your-selfer. They were dealer only for a lot of years. In fact that dealer I bought from sold the ones the neighbors have.

And they make an indoor wood furnace that is built like an Abrams tank.

I am the forum Englander fan. Don't like Home Depot though.

I was kidding around BB, And i did say they were decent stoves :) But the only outlet is HD, so for the DIY its a fine stove. I have no first hand experence with them, i just had to chime in because the comment you made about the manufacture being more then willing to help customers made me chuckle. I had to open my big mouth as to why they were so willing to help. so this post and the last post was written with a big :)

After I said all that about Gold doors I looked at the link...that is quite a nice looking stove.

Actually, I think dealers in some places sell Englander - or Summers Heat (their other brand).

Sure, I just looked and a lot of stove shops and hardware stores sell 'em.

You guys in Co. are always looking down at out little 1000 ft ski mountains - and now you are picking on our great Southern Stoves. Speaking of southern, I was talking to an industry bigwig the other day, and he told me Vent-Free still RULE the south....

Speaking of vent frees. Anybody here old enough to remember gas floor furnaces? Talk about a bazillion BTUs of vent free. Heated our house with one for years when I was a kid.

Probably explains my arrested development.

I installed the Englander add on furnace last fall. I am very happy with it. It does exactly what I bought it for - it heats my home economically and efficiently. I had to call them to order a replacement piece of glass (original broke becuase I was stupid and forced the door on a piece of wood). A human being answered the phone and I had the glass the next day. I would not hesitate in buying from them again.

Webmaster said:
After I said all that about Gold doors I looked at the link...that is quite a nice looking stove.

Actually, I think dealers in some places sell Englander - or Summers Heat (their other brand).

Sure, I just looked and a lot of stove shops and hardware stores sell 'em.

You guys in Co. are always looking down at out little 1000 ft ski mountains - and now you are picking on our great Southern Stoves. Speaking of southern, I was talking to an industry bigwig the other day, and he told me Vent-Free still RULE the south....

vent free's and log lighters... they definatly rule the south. You know, i dont even ski..... I dont know of any dealers that sell them, but then again, i dont know all the dealers. I dont know who would with a HD on every corner. They will have there special model, just made for them, to undercut all the independent guys. I dont turn my nose up to anything, hell im a colorado transplant from galveston texas.

MSG:

"I dont turn my nose up to anything, hell im a colorado transplant from galveston texas."

So, you would pick living on a beautiful mountain side instead of having hurricanes run up your tailpipe on a regular basis? I think I can understand that.

BB
Native Texan Transplanted To Virginia By Big Oil

does any have info on US Steel manufactured stoves I believe some are EPA rated and go under different names

BrotherBart said:
MSG:

"I dont turn my nose up to anything, hell im a colorado transplant from galveston texas."

So, you would pick living on a beautiful mountain side instead of having hurricanes run up your tailpipe on a regular basis? I think I can understand that.

BB
Native Texan Transplanted To Virginia By Big Oil

I dont miss the hurricanes, even though they were always a good excuse to have a party when they wernt some cat 3 storm, when i was a kid, we would have to WAIT for hurricanes to be able to surf in gulf. We used to walk out wooden peirs and jump off so we didnt have to wade out...

Let us know robbie how you son likes the englander.

I know everybody's tastes are different. I was in the market this year for a "value" stove, caring more about efficient clean heat than looks. I did look at the Englander at Lowes, I think the price is the only attractive thing about it. But seems pretty solidly built. Some real deals were to be had when they clearanced them 75% off in February but I couldn't buy one for regular price, mostly because its ugly, only has front loading, and its EPA emmissions are at the high end for modern approved stoves.

We used to sell Englander. We also thought it was ugly. But it is a decent stove. Pretty rugged. But we dropped all the cheap lines from our store beacuse they simply do not contribute to our margins. HD and Lowes, etc. have that market in our area. There are still some dealers who are selling these lower cost lines. I don't think you have to be concerned about their safety. They are good stoves. You should be more concerned that the stove he buys is properly installed.

Sean

i'd like to see if we could use the word "inexpensive" rather than "cheap" when talking about the englander stoves, they not only provide my living, but they have been in my home and my parents home since 1977

note: im smiling while i write this , im not taking offense, just having a chuckle :)

mike esw

I bought one of England's inserts a couple of months ago. What few problems I've had with the unit, mostly caused by myself, were quickly resolved by phone or email. I am pleased with the insert and very pleased with the support.

stoveguy2esw said:
i'd like to see if we could use the word "inexpensive" rather than "cheap" when talking about the englander stoves, they not only provide my living, but they have been in my home and my parents home since 1977

note: im smiling while i write this , im not taking offense, just having a chuckle :)

mike esw

Good point Mike. There is a lot to be said for a straight-forward, economical design and a good market for this too. So far I have only heard good words about Englanders and I really like what I am hearing about customer service. Keep up the good work!

-> Other stove manufacturers should take note.

BeGreen said:
stoveguy2esw said:

mike esw

Good point Mike. There is a lot to be said for a straight-forward, economical design and a good market for this too. So far I have only heard good words about Englanders and I really like what I am hearing about customer service. Keep up the good work!

-> Other stove manufacturers should take note.

If people feel better if they spend more money they could order:

30-NCL Stove $999.99
Gold plated door 350.10
Gold plated legs 207.92
Brass lip trim kit 40.00
Side heat shields 95.65
Blower 159.38

And then brag about their $1,900 stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.