Englender NC 30 clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatmiser5

Apr 16, 2011
Chaumont ny
I have mine installed 13 inches from the back wall with just
Rear shield and double wall stove pipe. At 550 degrees for
Three hours, the back wall was nice and cool and I could
Easily touch the stove pipe with my bare hand. My side clearances
Are each 27 inches and the drywall was hot to the touch.
Should I not worry about this because the specified clearance
Is 20 inches. Will I lose much heating capabilities if I Install
The side shields? I don't want to install them if I don't need
Them.

If you meet the following requirements then you are good. The manufacturer's requirements are UL tested and basically serve as the gospel.

If you are less than these, then your install is not considered safe regardless of what the temps are and could cause you a liability in the event of a tragic accident (IE house fire that the ins co. won't cover because of a non-compliant install).

As long as your particular install meets or exceeds each of these, then I would have no concerns. If it were me, I wouldn't install the side shields unless the clearances said I needed to. However, that is a personal preference. I want to stand next to my stove and feel like I'm being warmed by the sun.

pen

30installation.jpg

30fluedist.jpg

30floorprotection.jpg

Just to be on the safe side, being a new wood burner I ordered
The heat shields from home depot yesterday. As I was there
I noticed they are now selling the 30-NC for $899 and it comes
With a blower.

I think this needs corrected in for others that read the chart with single wall stove pipe. The manual says in note 2 with rear and side shields it can be installed 10" but single wall pipe requires 16" to combustibles. Possibly with a heat shield on the single wall pipe it could be installed that close.
I am not a pro at this install stuff maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

This confusion comes up every year. I think it should be clarified in the manual. Englander says that what is listed is in fact correct, even though it defies common sense.

pen

I am using the double wall stove pipe. So I should be good
To go.

Status
Not open for further replies.