English Ivy BTU

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
spent couple hours today taking down a black locust that fell at my fraternity house at the aluma mater. It was choked out by english ivy (yes Im sure its english ivy). Wife and I tried to take all of the ivy off we could but some of the ivy was as thick as the branches! It was nice to take it down at the house, the chain saw woke up most of the guys (at 12pm) and they came and helped load the truck so all I had to do was cut! Id say a good way to spend my break at work!

I think by the time you let that English Ivy dry out there will be nothing left. Ivy vines are pretty porous. Maybe older vines are better than the small ones I am used to.

Im not really worried about the hitch hikers, I guess itll burn at some level! Like I said we got a majority of it off. It was amazing how little damage the vines did to the actual tree, just made its way between the bark and the tree and it took it out. The center wood is fine, but the dirt and gunk did a number on my chain.

I think the problem is going to be splitting it.

I try not to do ivy trees. I get little red bumps on my arms, and my nose runs, and lungs burn. I don't miss it though, the ivy makes it a bugger to climb.

Status
Not open for further replies.