Enlarging the hole in the basement wall for the wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lafatlife

Nov 6, 2008
CT
Hi everyone, this is my first time on here and I hope someone can help me. I have a wood stove in my basement and the setup was fine with the pipe going through the cement wall.

I have added a wall with 2x4's and drywall and to make a room down there. Now I would like to hook the stove back up but understand that there needs to be an 18 inch clearance around the pipe but that would take out a good portion of the wall.

I would like to use the insulated piping through the wall however the original hole has a masonry pipe in it with a diameter of 6 inches to accommodate the stove pipe.

Are there any suggestions as to what I can do for this problem? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks

Some pipe mfgs offer a wall pass-through for this exact predicament. I would come with a 6" mortar sleeve and a big insulated thing that goes in the drywalled wall. Hopefully the mortar sleeve will fit into your existing hole.

I have one laying on the floor of my office (that could be for sale, only installed and then ripped out once) made by Simpson Duravent. I have seen them online for just about every other pipe mfg as well.

aaahhhh, I am so confused about this whole thing. I know that the original hole in the wall was made big enough to accommodate the clay pipe within it which of course has a 6 inch internal diameter. These are flush to the inside of the brick wall. There is just a straight black pipe that goes through the wall to connect to the chimney.

Now I want to add a wall with insulation and need to be able to get the pipe through the wall safely and into the existing hole so that means whatever I use, it has to fit into that 6 inch diameter clay pipe.

I have been reading about the thimbles and especially the ones that you can use to connect directly to a chimney. Would that work and be safe or would it be best to see if I can just bore the hole bigger?

This is so confusing. I even went to a fire place store and the guy told me that it couldn't be done unless I left 18 inches of the wall out all the way around or used steel studs and fireboard.

Well I have pulled the drywall away from where the stove goes through as I can put fireboard up, but again without a thimble with some sort of nipple that will fit into the clay pipe I think I am stuck.

lafatlife said:
aaahhhh, I am so confused about this whole thing. I know that the original hole in the wall was made big enough to accommodate the clay pipe within it which of course has a 6 inch internal diameter. These are flush to the inside of the brick wall. There is just a straight black pipe that goes through the wall to connect to the chimney.

Now I want to add a wall with insulation and need to be able to get the pipe through the wall safely and into the existing hole so that means whatever I use, it has to fit into that 6 inch diameter clay pipe.

I have been reading about the thimbles and especially the ones that you can use to connect directly to a chimney. Would that work and be safe or would it be best to see if I can just bore the hole bigger?

This is so confusing. I even went to a fire place store and the guy told me that it couldn't be done unless I left 18 inches of the wall out all the way around or used steel studs and fireboard.

Well I have pulled the drywall away from where the stove goes through as I can put fireboard up, but again without a thimble with some sort of nipple that will fit into the clay pipe I think I am stuck.

See posts #1and 3 in this thread. The answer is there.

Dunebilly said:
See posts #1and 3 in this thread. The answer is there.

But what is the 6 inch mortar sleeve? Does that go into an already existing clay sleeve or is it seperate? Would I have to break the original clay sleeve out???

I don't mean to be stupid about this but I have been to several fireplace/woodstove stores and have been shot down every time.

Do you have a picture of what you are selling? If it works for my situation, what will you charge for it?

Thanks

First, it is not a chimney, it is the cement wall of the basement that is lined with a clay liner. The inside diameter of that clay liner is 6 inches. The regular stove pipe fits snugly through that clay liner and hooks up to the outside chimney.

It sounds like jtp's item may be what you need. However, you haven't told us if your chimney is metal or masonry.
If it's metal you might be looking to do something similar to mine with a 12x12 hole through the wall ?

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/26434/

8.jpg

the chimney itself is metal. It is a round outside chimney. The basement wall is cement and no I do not have a 12x12 hole through the wall. Like I said before it is about 7 inches with a 1/2 clay liner in it.

I'm suggesting that, in order to use a standard through-the-wall class A thimble, you'll need to enlarge your hole to 12x12.
Otherwise you'll need something like jtp has offered.

12 x 12 through the drywall or through the cement wall? I already took the sheet of drywall off that area and will be buying a sheet of firewall instead. I panic about fires and do not want to take any chances at all.

Thanks again for everyone offering their thoughts. I am hoping that what jtp has to offer will do the trick for me.

Mine is a similar situation. My original plan was 12x12 through the sheetrock/framing and an 8" hole in the foundation for the class A pipe.
It didn't work out that way. The thimble needs 12x12 all the way through. Your results may vary.

I looked at the part jtp is offering again. I think those are to go into a masonry chimney that has been enclosed with framing/sheetrock.
I'm not sure if it would connect properly to the class A that you have. I think he headed in that direction when you mentioned the clay thimble which is usually used into a masonry chimney.
I suspect you're going to have to find out what brand of chimney you have and start fresh from the outside tee through the wall with class A and a proper thimble like mine. Then the inside pipe may, or may not, require double wall depending on your clearances. Pics would help us to help you more.
Your present thimble may(?) be fine without the interior combustibles but you're playing a different game now.

lafatlife said:
I already took the sheet of drywall off that area and will be buying a sheet of firewall instead.

Do you mean 5/8" firecode sheetrock ? I don't know if that'll relieve you of the required clearances.
What's the sheetrock attached to ? If it's wood framing then you need class A pipe with 2" clearance around it (back to the 12"x12") regardless of what the facing of the wall is.

It is currently wood however I can replace those 3 uprights with steel stud if necessary. Yes firecode sheetrock.

Just curious...How far will your horizontal pipe be from the ceiling ?

Sounds just like mine except I have a 7' ceiling and needed double wall inside.

the bottom of the rafters I believe are at 7 feet. I have not put up a ceiling as yet. Still trying to figure this out first.

Status
Not open for further replies.