Entertaining a new stove, looking for input/suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Since my Defiant is in very bad condition from the flood, I am looking seriously at a replacement unit. My best guess is the rebuild will run me 500-700 with consideration of my time (lost income). It needs a new fireback and all handles/seals.

Currently, the Defiant does fine with output. It is located in the basement and runs 24/7 when needed. The cape footprint is 38x28. Heat moves naturally- no extra effort to provide vents/fans. I do not need a “pretty†stove, though I would not mind some glass. I would prefer a non-cat to reduce wear/tear items that can cause burning issues as they fail. My current vent pipe, 6†insulated double wall, must be able to be used as well. The Defiant can use 6 inch as long as the doors are left closed (not opened with screen for fireplace appearance). If possible, I would like to limit around $2500. Thanks for your educated opinions.

Stoves that can produce about the same heat that you are used to from the old Defiant while still accepting a 6" liner (Unless otherwise mentioned the stoves listed are non-cat stoves):

VC Defiant 2-in-1 (Cat and Non-Cat stove): About $2800
Pacific Energy T6: About $2500
Pacific Energy Summit: Unsure of the price (Should be less than $2500)
Englander 30NC: $899 - $1199
Jotul F600: About $3000
Woodstock Progress Hybrid (cat stove): $2400
Lopi Liberty: Unsure of the price
Buck Model 74 (might be a bit smaller): Unsure of the price
Osburn 2400: About $1900

If you like ugly stoves, you could get a Blaze King Princess or Chinook.

Quadrafire Isle Royale or 5700
Napoleon 1900
Regency F3100

kingquad said:
If you like ugly stoves, you could get a Blaze King Princess or Chinook.

Quadrafire Isle Royale or 5700
Napoleon 1900
Regency F3100

Based on spec I thought the Isle Royale might have been a bit smallers. Wasn't sure. I forgot about the 5700, the Regency, and the Napoleon.

Myway, I was wondering why the costs seem so high for the repairs to your current stove? Was the damage to the defiant from the flooding that bad? There was another fellow from VT here talking about the same thing and he was looking to keep his and do some minor work to it. You did mention looking for something a little 'prettier' and with glass. Since I am a Jotul Fan my suggestions would be either the F500 Oslo and the F600 Firelight, both 'pretty' stoves and both are workhorses with 6" flues.

I hope you are at least able to salvage the defiant to a seller that is willing to repair it or keep it yourself as a backup.

My Oslo heats my home said:
Myway, I was wondering why the costs seem so high for the repairs to your current stove? Was the damage to the defiant from the flooding that bad? There was another fellow from VT here talking about the same thing and he was looking to keep his and do some minor work to it. You did mention looking for something a little 'prettier' and with glass. Since I am a Jotul Fan my suggestions would be either the F500 Oslo and the F600 Firelight, both 'pretty' stoves and both are workhorses with 6" flues.

I hope you are at least able to salvage the defiant to a seller that is willing to repair it or keep it yourself as a backup.

Just to be clear, the Oslo does not put out the same amount of heat as the Defiant. The Oslo would be more comparably to the Vigilant.

So many stoves to chose from. If your looking for something sized similar to the Defiant make sure you measure the fire box yourself. Not many claimed 3 cu ft stoves are actually 3 cu ft.

Todd said:
So many stoves to chose from. If your looking for something sized similar to the Defiant make sure you measure the fire box yourself. Not many claimed 3 cu ft stoves are actually 3 cu ft.

Correct. Do not look at BTU ratings. I believe the old Defiant was listed at 60k BTUs. Swapping it out with another stove that claims 60k and you will be very disappointed.

"I do not need a “pretty†stove, though I would not mind some glass."

Englander 30NC, definitely. Backup suggestion would be a PE Summit.

The 30NC is not a bad looking stove for the money. The only hangup for me is the log length. I have 35-40 cords cut up to 24 inches, and most around 20-22. The NC max is listed at 20. I posted the percieved cost of rebuilding based on memory of part costs. I just priced the package of parts needed, which includes the new fireback, and the cost is 350 +/-. Given what feedback I received here on the forum, the job is a solid day's work. I am not afraid of the work, but the time dedication is an issue. Still cleaning up from Irene's wrath and work is getting very busy. I am going to hold off on ordering the parts and visit a showroom first. Just missed a VC Defiant for 150 on CL. Would have bought that as long as the fireback was good. I am happy with that stove. Moving to a new one is based on reduced wood consumption and time constraints. Come to think of it, I have some high octaine coffee and there are quite a few hours between 11 and 5 am. If I can only rebuild the thing without waking the house.......... Cold air coming will force my hand one way or the other. Will keep you posted.

mywaynow said:
The 30NC is not a bad looking stove for the money. The only hangup for me is the log length. I have 35-40 cords cut up to 24 inches, and most around 20-22. The NC max is listed at 20. I posted the percieved cost of rebuilding based on memory of part costs. I just priced the package of parts needed, which includes the new fireback, and the cost is 350 +/-. Given what feedback I received here on the forum, the job is a solid day's work. I am not afraid of the work, but the time dedication is an issue. Still cleaning up from Irene's wrath and work is getting very busy. I am going to hold off on ordering the parts and visit a showroom first. Just missed a VC Defiant for 150 on CL. Would have bought that as long as the fireback was good. I am happy with that stove. Moving to a new one is based on reduced wood consumption and time constraints. Come to think of it, I have some high octaine coffee and there are quite a few hours between 11 and 5 am. If I can only rebuild the thing without waking the house.......... Cold air coming will force my hand one way or the other. Will keep you posted.

Might as well look at the new Defiant, Jotul F600, and the 5700 Step Top if that is the case.

Have you thought about a new Defiant 2in1 stove? You can burn it cat or non-cat. Do you have an insurance claim to help out with the cost?

Good luck,
Bill

No help from my lovely insurance company at all. My faith in the Good Hands people has turned into a realization that a fist was really what was awaiting me. The Jotul F600 is a beautiful stove, but that price tag is not happening. I have an oil burner to replace, computer, water pump.........etc.........etc. FEMA has helped but I have a long way to go.

If you wan to keep the cost down you also may want to look at the Dutchwest XL as it will take wood the length you have yours cut to and is cheaper than the 2in1. The last time I priced the XL last fall you could pick it up for around $1640 brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.