Entire Christmas dinner cooked on woodburner.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchip

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2010
Broadstone England
I was hoping to do some sort of wood cooking challenge this Christmas......
I also wanted to cook something differently, and a recipe we saw involved a pheasant breast and chorizo casserole.
But being me, I didn't want to slavishly follow it, so we substituted the pheasant with a turkey breast!!!!
Here is the turkey breast with chorizo before cooking:

TurkeyandChorizo1.jpg

And I remembered to take a picture during carving, with the second shot being the veg, all cooked on the flat top of the wood stove.
Nice to be able to do Christmas dinner and experiment about a bit, we'll be doing this again!!!!!

TurkeyandChorizo2.jpg

Vegetablescookedonwoodstove.jpg

My wife instantly mentioned the similarity between the carrot/parsnip piles and the wood drying stacks outside.

Not sure if that was meant as a compliment or exasperation at all the fiddling about I did making it look pretty whilst people were starving after smelling the casserole as they arrived....... ;-)

Happy Boxing Day.

Thanks Jake!

Out walking with the family this morning, nice salad to eat this evening after excess eating yesterday.... ;-)

Yummy, that's inspiring. I'm wondering about how long it took and at what stove top temp? What are the cooking details?

I knew someone would want the technical stuff!!!!

I part boiled the potatoes, carrots and parsnips first with a flue pipe temp of 400f (that equates to a stove top of 450 - 500f from my last check).

The turkey was put on for 1 1/2 hours and the start temp was about 400f on the flue as above, dropping off to 350 after half an hour.

About one hour into the cooking, I added some stock to ensure there was plenty of liquid in the pot, put on some wood, and the flue pipe went to 450f.

This was when I put a baking tray with the part boiled veg back on which had been lightly painted with olive oil, turning the veg after 1/4 of an hour to get some colour both sides.

A small area at the front of the stove was all I had keft for cooking on and a small pot of water was boiled here, and some brussels sprouts were put in and boiled for 5 minutes, and added into the veg when arranging before serving.

It was a little bit fiddly, but it did add something to the day, and I would never hesitate to try it again. Certainly created a talking point here!!!!

Can't wait to try turkey and chorizo again, I love Spanish food, and the few thin slices of chorizo added something to the turkey, and changed the style of the meal completely... :)

Pretty neat Woodchip...I have yet to cook a whole meal on top of the 30.
Love the carrot/parsnip piles....very cute.. :)

Happy Boxing day!

Status
Not open for further replies.