Enviro Boston 1700

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asungtang

Jan 8, 2012
New Jersey
Got it installed yesterday. Started 3 small fires and on my first full fire.

Turned off all the furnaces. Burning 4 Eco Bricks since 11am.

Outside temp: around 45 degrees F
Upstairs temp (the upstairs is open to the downstairs - 17 foot ceiling - thermometer right over the open area) - 72 degrees F
Downstairs temp (thermometer in a segregated space) - 65 degrees F

Conclusion:
Boston Enviro is great.
Need to get the ceiling fan installed quickly.

Nice going, but we're not gonna believe it till we see it. %-P That is such a good looker we just have to have some pictures.

Until you get a ceiling fan, to help destratify the air take a regular table or box fan, and point it upward toward the ceiling. Run on low speed.

Pharmsale offered to post pix of his Enviro, but I don't see anything. I'm wondering why the blowers only blow on the right side. Is this how the Boston is suppose to work?

To be honest, I thought the Clydesdale was more attractive. Most women I showed the pictures to thought the Clydesdale was better looking. However, the EPA numbers just didn't work, and most importantly the price on the Boston was better. It was about 20% less. And, I just couldn't get over the number of posts complaining about Clydedale's blowers.

I don't have a box fan. I had one from college until I had kids. Then I decided to donate it, because I was certain that I wouldn't need it again in our new house with casement windows. Lesson learned.

So I did some other things.

First the temperature upstairs was 72.
The thermometer in the kitchen (down a hall way from the fireplace - very segregated) was 67.
The thermometer in the living room (about 8 feet away from the fireplace) was 65.,

during the afternoon, I turned on the fan on the downstairs furnace. The returns were on the bottom of the walls, so I figured it would pull cool air. After running the furnace fan for about half an hour, this happened.
The temperature upstairs was 70.
The thermometer in the kitchen was 67.
The thermometer in the living room was 64.

Now, I took a little floor fan (Vornado) and placed it in the balcony area so that it could blow that balmy 73 degree air (yes, it's now at 73 degrees) downstairs.
It's been blowing for about 20 minutes.
The temperature upstairs is 72.
The thermometer in the kitchen was 67.
The thermometer in the living room is 67.

Yup. I need a ceiling fan.

Attachments

• FP01x.jpg
    FP01x.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 609
Sorry, havn't been on here in a while..here is a pic of mine...LOVE IT SO FAR...I also notice that the fan only blows out the right side too..

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 660
Pharmsaler: Do you load your wood in any particular configuration to maximize the heat output or extend burning times? We got a cord with 22" pieces, but the depth x width x height is 20.65†x 18.25†x 11.95†so we've been putting in longer pieces depthwise and sometimes diagonally. However, that just doesn't seem very efficient.

I had one load cut at 20" and another at 18". Obviously I load the 20's front to back and the 18's sideways. It seems that I can cram more in going sideways and I typlically do that at night. during the days and evenings I use the 20's front to back.

Do you notice that your blower only blows out the right side? mine does...it doesn't seem to affect how much heat I am getting but it just seems un-natural

My blows out only on the right side, and I called the installer to make sure that's how it's suppose to be. He looked through all the design specs and said that's how it's suppose to work. The left side gets air for the draft. When you say you load it up, how many pieces are you putting in front2back? How many pieces do you put in side2side? How long does a load burn for?

Pieces...It all depends. I'm going to guess 6 pieces front to back and 6-8 sideways..I'm easily getting 8-10 hours of life..what I mean by that is that I can load it up..tight...wake up 8 hrs later and put in 1-2 pieces and it will restart with out any issues...sometimes it will be 10 hours and I get the same thing but I will be more selective in what I put in..Smaller pieces with a lot of shaggy strands that I will know catch easier..

Are you happy with yours so far..I am

It's a great wood insert. When I bought some wood from a co-op, it was great. The wood was seasoned for a year.

Then, I got a delivery of a cord of wood during shoulder season, and that cord of wood was not seasoned enough. It was cheap, but it was not that great. I think it was seasoned for only 4 months. The wood is just not burning as hot, and I need to reload at shorter intervals. With the 1 year seasoned wood, I was loading every 5 hours or so. With this 4 month seasoned wood, I'm reloading every 2 to 3 hours. It doesn't light up as well, and it goes out fast. So I'm trying to figure out if there's a better configuration for loading up the wood. Worst part about this cord of cheap wood ($225 including delivery) is that there are 22 inch pieces that can fit only diagonally.

If you will be buying wood for the next season, I'd recommend getting it delivered and stacked now. Ask around and get quotes from several dealers. Ask for 16" splits of good hardwood species. Inspect the wood before accepting delivery for size, dryness and wood species. Make sure they don't put in a lot of pine or silver maple unless you know this up front.

Since neither my husband nor I have ever had a wood insert before, we never really bought wood. I always ask for hardwoods, but I can't tell what the wood is. I can tell pine, because it's just very noticeable. What does the different types of wood look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.