enviro ef2 blower motor problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
I was doing my first long burn today in this stove. I have been having problems with the blower fan / motor. There has been a vibrating noise. I pulled the fan and pulled the fan blades out some. All was quiet again. Now today all of a sudden it was making another noise after about 6 hour burn. I could not change the blower speed at all. Nor would it shut off. I felt the blower motor and it was very hot. I shut the feed off, and after it cooled a little the fan was working properly. What is going on here? Do I need a new blower motor?

I'm pretty sure its just needs some lube. It should have lube ports on the motor. Go get some 3 in 1 blue can or equivalent(20W). Drop 4-5 drops(when dry)( 2-3 is normal maint.) in each port. Spin it a few times and see if it spins easier. Put it back in.

You will need to do this every once in a while(I would say once a ton).

Well I lubed it before I started burning a few weeks ago. I have only burned about a half a bag...

Do you think when the stove gets really hot the blower is not supposed to be able to be turned down?

The noise to me seems like something is off balance type noise.

chrisasst said:
Well I lubed it before I started burning a few weeks ago. I have only burned about a half a bag...

Do you think when the stove gets really hot the blower is not supposed to be able to be turned down?

The noise to me seems like something is off balance type noise.

What are you using for lube?

Usually when it sounds like that the bushings or bearings have gone south. This was a used stove and I remember the pictures. Looked like it wasn't taken the best care of. One sure way to fix her for good is some new parts. The standard factory blower is abot $170 and change. Get me some numbers and I'll see what I can cross over for you. I might even find just the motor. You can compare prices.

Snap a picture of it too and post.

I used sewing machine oil for the kozi, so thats what I have been using.
Everything seems to be easy moving. I lit it up again and put the feed rate to almost the highest. And it did it again. It was quiet up to that point. I turned the feed down to let it cool a bit and I was able to turn the fan off. But after it cools off, the noise is still there.
Here is a video I took of the noise..

http://youtu.be/-b_BKhvS7kg

Boy that daddy daddy noise is real tough to solve! ;-) sorry couldn't resist! jk

I can hear the little screatch of a bushing/bearing still. When you spun it does it spin for a while or just stop?

Are you in Auto or manual?

It spins fine. No resistance at all. It is in auto. I see that woodheat.com (is that the website, not at my computer right now) has an non OEM for about 180. Do you think I should just replace it, or what else can I try. And why would this noise happen only after it gets hot. I don't know much about the bearings and such.

Noise happens when it gets hot do to expansion. If the motor is so hot you can't touch it its the bearings. With out a doubt IMHO. You could probably change the bearings. But you need a little puller to do it. Bearings can be got a supply house or Auto parts store.

$180 for OEM is alot, Aftermarket is less than half. Bearings are $12 bucks maybe.

Snap a picture of the motor tag and blower itself. I'll see what I can cross for you.

How the heck would one even take this apart...
Here are some pics, maybe they will show something..

The blower woodheatstoves has for $188 is after market.

GEDC0025.jpg

GEDC0024.jpg

GEDC0023.jpg

GEDC0022.jpg

***these pictures show way more dust on the fins than there is.****

Its a bushing motor no bearings. I have't had luck trying to change them. Plastic squirrel cage too! Haven't seen one in a while.

Hang tight, I find a cheaper one.

Hey Chris,

Having a tough time with this set of numbers. Take a look at HB-RBM121 and see if the flange will bolt up to yours. It isn't much cheaper than the aftermarket that WHS has listed though.

Outside Flange Dimension = 4 3/8" x 4"
Bolt Hole-center to center = 3 3/4" x 3 1/2"

Cheapest price I see is here.

http://www.cshincorporated.com/product_info.php/cPath/110_35/products_id/169

You could also check out Napolean NPS 40 and 45 stoves. The blower should be the same.

Well all matches up except for the 3 1/2 seems to be 3 3/8 center to center on mine.

You should be able to use a round file to adjust it! ;-)

Compare WHS and this place(linked) with cost plus shipping.

Chris;
This unit will come apart - start from the fan end and when your down to just the motor you will see the end plate is only crimped in place. Chemicaly clean both ends of the shaft (rotor) then buff to high polish with 600 grit sandpaper. Clean any varnish from the bearing and relube assembly.

No, But they are just simple crip on terminals for the Enviro. Hardware stove will have plenty.

You can also try what restore49 said too.

There is no way I can get that apart with out breaking it.

Chris:
Absolutly Positivily Guarantee this assembly can be beaten. If there is a clamp ring on the fan it can be removed with various pick tools and right angle levers. Fan is pressed on - some kind of push or puller configeration would be needed. I would be more than happy to talk you threw it or send it to me and will post the process once I sort it out and post pictures (just did one for a friends Quest). Audi used pressed on fans and have removed a few while still in housing. Bob

I can get the fan off but the fan chamber is hooked onto the motor with metal clips that I can't bend off.unless I am missing something

Chris,

Once the impeller is off, You should see screws holding the motor to the housing. I think they are 3/8 nuts. There should be 4 of them. Motor will slide off. The clips are what holds the motor bushing plate to the motor housing.

Take the ring(held on by 3 sheet metal screws) off and slide impellet out. Take a piccy looking into housing at motor shaft. Post it if there isn't 4 nuts there looking back at you.

ok guys here is what I have when I take the fan off. How in the world do I get these clip looking things off so I can get inside...
Also is the shaft supposed to be able to move a little back and forth?

GEDC0030.jpg

GEDC0027.jpg

GEDC0031.jpg

Chris,

Pop off these 4 clips and the motor end cover plate with the studs will slide off the shaft. Slide a screw driver under the clip on the side of the motor housing. You kind of have to lift the clip part that is in the side of the housing Gently pivot the clip towards the motor shaft. Hard to explain, Hope you get this part. The rear end cover is welded on and not removable.

Once you have the clips off and the motor end cover plate slide off. Remove the armeture by pulling it out of the motor housing. Watch for spaces and keep track of where they belong.

Then do what restore49 said.
Chemicaly clean both ends of the shaft (rotor) then buff to high polish with 600 grit sandpaper. Clean any varnish from the bearing and relube assembly.

Attachments

• GEDC0027.jpg
    GEDC0027.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 366
Status
Not open for further replies.