Enviro Empress Fuse (control board) replacement question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpcm

Oct 1, 2010
Sandown, NH
www.mpcm.com
Had an Enviro Empress FS installed last year in Nov, in a recently bought old farm house. In southern NH, and being our first year we only burned through 1/2 ton. This year should be a great deal more I hope in an effort to combat last year's oil expenditures. It was professionally installed and setup by our local dealer. No complaints at all for the first winter.

Present day, just had it professionally cleaned and shortly after they fired it up and it was burning along, the stove gave off a green flash and shut off. Got them to take a look, and sure enough the control board fuse had blown. There had been some pellets left in the hopper over the summer (I know...), but I'm about to replace those before I swap the fuse and give it a second try.

The fuse I took out is a Lf 5A/125V : UL CSA 235. I was able to find the same dimension/spec fuse at radioshack (5-Amp, 125-Volt, radioshack link).

The guys doing the cleaning offered to replace it for a $95 the next day, and the enviro dealer sites I see list the part as 50-833 (5-Amp, 115V, woodheatstoves.com link ), and are looking for ~$24/2 fuses.

To confuse the matter further, the manual states "Circuit Board 5 Amp Fuses - 220V (Pair)".

I do not mind buying them if there is actually a difference that makes a difference, but on the same token don't want to blow an expensive fuse just to find out something else needs repairing in the unit that a less expensive fuse would also tell me.

Does anyone have an experience or thoughts on this. My inclination is that the fuses I picked up at RadioShack should be fine, but I'm not an electrical engineer. I'm about to call one next to get some further insight as well.

Just signed up, this forum looks great :)

$95 to change a fuse? Holy crap captain! $24 for 2 fuse's????? I wouldn't pay that either! :sick:

Before I would change the fuse I would unplug the stove and give it a good looking over! While they were cleaning they may have pinched a wire or something! The stove should not just blow a fuse for no reason. Something isn't right and IMHO they should make it right for you. Sure hope the board is OK after the flash?

The fuse should be OK. As long as its not a slow blow.

I agree w/ Jay 100%....no way you should have to fix this, as it seems (based on what you said here), pretty obvious that they did something during the cleaning to cause this....a greenish flash usually indicates a dead 120v short.

I'd be all over them to make good (fuses, control board, both, or whatever), and if they refuse, I'd be getting my small claims court papers ready.

mpcm said:
Had an Enviro Empress FS installed last year in Nov, in a recently bought old farm house. In southern NH, and being our first year we only burned through 1/2 ton. This year should be a great deal more I hope in an effort to combat last year's oil expenditures. It was professionally installed and setup by our local dealer. No complaints at all for the first winter.

Present day, just had it professionally cleaned and shortly after they fired it up and it was burning along, the stove gave off a green flash and shut off. Got them to take a look, and sure enough the control board fuse had blown. There had been some pellets left in the hopper over the summer (I know...), but I'm about to replace those before I swap the fuse and give it a second try.

The fuse I took out is a Lf 5A/125V : UL CSA 235. I was able to find the same dimension/spec fuse at radioshack (5-Amp, 125-Volt, radioshack link).

The guys doing the cleaning offered to replace it for a $95 the next day, and the enviro dealer sites I see list the part as 50-833 (5-Amp, 115V, woodheatstoves.com link ), and are looking for ~$24/2 fuses.

To confuse the matter further, the manual states "Circuit Board 5 Amp Fuses - 220V (Pair)".

I do not mind buying them if there is actually a difference that makes a difference, but on the same token don't want to blow an expensive fuse just to find out something else needs repairing in the unit that a less expensive fuse would also tell me.

Does anyone have an experience or thoughts on this. My inclination is that the fuses I picked up at RadioShack should be fine, but I'm not an electrical engineer. I'm about to call one next to get some further insight as well.

Just signed up, this forum looks great :)
IMHO, I think both are trying to **** you. Mouser's cost is .26 each plus shipping or 10 for $2.48.
http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Littelfuse/0235005HXP/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuMS2dUaCDnDKxs6QrU6ioc

EDIT: Go to your local electrical supply house, they should have them if you don't order them.

Thank you for the feedback. I was able to locate the fuses at radio shack at a reasonable price. Got a couple bags in case I need them during the future...

Upon opening the side panel to investigate, it appears that the two wires that go to the ignitor out of the bundle where touching the bottom panel of the stove. Not an issue in and off themselves I imagine, but they seemed to be sitting in a small puddle of lubricant (?). I took photos in case I need to reference it later. I cleaned up the puddle and moved the wiring off the bottom of the stove, replaced the fuse and gave it a second try with a new fuse.

It started up, seemed to start moving the auger fine, then once it turned on the red temp setting light, which I assume happens as it starts the ignitor, it shorted again (green flash). So my next step is go start taking it a bit more apart to check for more obvious obstructions.

I called the my dealer to inquire, they suggested that the ignitor was perhaps touching and thus shorting. Either that or the auger, it was more general advice I think.

They said they are 'done' servicing for the season, and suggested another company to do repair work... the same company I had who came to clean it... not sure if this is a warranty issue or not. Going to look a bit more at the stove and do a bit more cleaning. Can I start the stove with ignitor disconnected?, in an effort to isolate the cause of the short if I don't see anything else.

My fuse blew on my empress and I could not find any shorts except fot the igniter. I disconnected the ignitor wires and manually lit the stove with a propane torch. Before you try to start the stove with a torch, just replace the fuse and try to run the stove with the ignitor disconnected because if the pellets start to burn and the stove blows a fuse for another reason the house will fill with smoke because the exhaust blower will not suck out the smoke. I have run the stove this way since mid winter last year and the stove has not blown a fuse since.

mpcm said:
.....I called the my dealer to inquire, they suggested that the ignitor was perhaps touching and thus shorting. Either that or the auger, it was more general advice I think.

They said they are 'done' servicing for the season, and suggested another company to do repair work... the same company I had who came to clean it... not sure if this is a warranty issue or not.....

While I agree that this might not be a warranty issue due to the problem starting AFTER it was serviced by another company, the dealer is still ultimately responsible for warranty work (regardless of what they said about being "done"). If you finally determine that there are no obvious shorted wires, etc, then the dealer needs to come check this out under warranty.

If they won't, I think a call to Enviro customer service with a complaint would be in order.

jtpack123 said:
My fuse blew on my empress and I could not find any shorts except fot the igniter. I disconnected the ignitor wires and manually lit the stove with a propane torch. Before you try to start the stove with a torch, just replace the fuse and try to run the stove with the ignitor disconnected because if the pellets start to burn and the stove blows a fuse for another reason the house will fill with smoke because the exhaust blower will not suck out the smoke. I have run the stove this way since mid winter last year and the stove has not blown a fuse since.

The smoke situation is what happened the first time it blew after the cleaning, house still sorta smells of Beef Jerky, grin.

To disconnect the ignitor it is just those two wires leading to ignitor itself... I'll give that a try next.

imacman said:
mpcm said:
.....I called the my dealer to inquire, they suggested that the ignitor was perhaps touching and thus shorting. Either that or the auger, it was more general advice I think.

They said they are 'done' servicing for the season, and suggested another company to do repair work... the same company I had who came to clean it... not sure if this is a warranty issue or not.....

While I agree that this might not be a warranty issue due to the problem starting AFTER it was serviced by another company, the dealer is still ultimately responsible for warranty work (regardless of what they said about being "done"). If you finally determine that there are no obvious shorted wires, etc, then the dealer needs to come check this out under warranty.

If they won't, I think a call to Enviro customer service with a complaint would be in order.

I spoke with the dealer again today and got a much different and receptive response to my situation. Waiting for their tech to call me back tomorrow, and I'll follow up again with them if I don't here from them. At least the lady on the phone had the same reaction to the price for the fuse 'service' as I did. Hopefully I'll make some headway.

Dealer's repair guys are coming to do a diagnostic on the stove this Thursday. So hopefully I should know more then. There seems to have been some confusion at the time of the issue, they didn't "know" it was still under warranty. But, moving forward I am hoping it is the igniter so that I can at least start it manually if they can't replace the part right away.

Will follow up as it goes forward....

This was what the stove looked like after the cleaning guys left and the shorting started happening:

2010_fuse_2.jpg

2010_fuse_3.jpg

The two wires on the other end of the red and white plastic clips go to the igniter.

Almost looks like they did that on purpose.

Current verdict is that the auger motor is leaking, and leaked onto the ignitor wires, causing it to short. In my case both should be covered by warranty, and an order is going in for replacement parts. Now I just need to wait for them to arrive... 2-4 weeks (perhaps longer or sooner). Will keep this thread running until I get it resolved. Hopefully it'll be of use to others, still assembling my feelings about all of this and will hold judgement until it gets resolved.

Spinoff due to your wonderful picture. My stove uses the same "quick disconnect' fasteners as seen in your picture. What is the trick to separating them? Mine are incredibly tight, and once disconnected, the male connecter's plate was pulled loose. I just replaced a fan yesterday, stove is working, but if/when I disconnect again the fastener will be trashed. Thanks anyone for any help.

Hope you get your stove problem resolved uneventfully.

The dealer service guys came today, installed my replacement parts, and everything is up and running again. : )
They replaced the auger motor and the ignitor, under warranty. Only a $50 travel charge, and lots of waiting... but at least it is running at the moment. Doing a first of season burn tonight finally...

Status
Not open for further replies.