Enviro Empress - Lazy Flame - Pellets building up in Pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richkorn

Minister of Fire
Jul 28, 2008
SE CT
My father-in-law has an Empress, this is his 2nd season with it and it has been running great until yesterday. Now it has a lazy flame and he says the pellets are building up in the burn pot. I can't go help him because I am in CT and he is in VT.

This is what he told me:

It was professionally cleaned this past summer and running fine until *yesterday* before he cleaned out the burn pot & firebox of ash including some sort of cleanouts behind some panels in the firebox. He said he also took off the rear panels and blew some compressed air back there to blow it out. Now it runs like crap.

I told him the possibilities are:
1. Dirty stove
2. Stove not getting enough air anymore (clogged air intake)
3. Exhaust clogged
4. Not maintaining neg pressure (ash pan not secured etc.)

He is shutting it down and re-checking everything right now.

It does not have an OAK and prior to yesterday ran great without it, so that is not an issue in this case.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

PROBLEM SOLVED!

He forgot to latch the ash pan closed....duh.

Does he have any problems with the doors rattleing and vibrating? my stove is driving me nuts, i have to leave the doors open all the time.

livefreeordie said:
Does he have any problems with the doors rattleing and vibrating? my stove is driving me nuts, i have to leave the doors open all the time.
I know what you are talking about. I try to keep my doors closed all the time. I finally found a spot that the doors were not rattling and tightened that little spring clip on the inside of the door. After that I try to leave it alone. All you need is 1/4" nut-driver. Check the door hinge pins often too. They seem to have a way of backing out on my stove.

He hasn't complained of any rattles.

Status
Not open for further replies.