Enviro Evolution just quit???? (PIC)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaterhunter

Dec 14, 2010
Maine
Went down in the basement to see my pellet stove out, expected it to be out of pellets; nope. Attempted to restart the stove with the ON/OFF switch; nothing. Then checked power on the outlet and power cord into the stove; power. Then checked the fuse on the control board; blown. The owners manual says there are two fuses F1 and F2. I only see the one fuse on the control board. The last idea I had was to bounce fuse ratings to determine which fuse was which but both are 5 amp fuses. The manual also says that if F1 is blown there could be a convection blower overload or a power surge. F2 fuse would indicate combustion blower, auger motor, or ignitor overload. Not sure what fuse is on the control board but it's blown. Also both the combustion blower and the convection blower seem to be rotating freely. I realize replacing the fuse will get me burning again but blown fuses usually occur because of an issue with the equipment. Any ideas which fuse this is and what this might indicate? :grrr:

Attachments

• DSC00523.jpg
    DSC00523.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 933
I should have added that in the picture the fuse is located on the bottom right corner just to the right of the white plactic male power plug...

Fairly windy, why?

Heaterhunter said:
Fairly windy, why?

In kittery... Sure it wasn't as nasty as Standish :cheese:

Windy days usually are when we see a power surge. You are using a surge supressor right! :)

If you have a few fuses pop one in and give it a whirl. If it pops again you might need to get the multimeter out and start checking things. Igniter would be my first check, then combustion blower, auger and convection blower.

Negative. You mean a power strip with surge protection? I've heard it mentioned many times I guess I know why now.. :roll: I don't have any fuses on hand, I'll have to get some tomorrow and see what happens. Could it be that the wind was fighting the discharge of the combustion blower which overloaded it???

Heaterhunter,

I found below info for the evolution on enviro website. Is your control board not a DHC2000, that would
explain one fuse. The Evolution fs3000 control board shows one fuse that controls all functions.
Most likely is was power surge. Best to pick up a box of fuses as well as a surge protector.
Below is info that would prove helpful if fuse blows again.

CIRCUIT BOARD FUSES:
This is for the DHC2000 Boards only as the later models have only one fuse that control all functions.
F1 is the fuse to the inside of the circuit board controls.
F2 fuse closest fuse to the outside edge of the circuit board controls.

For DHC2000 board:
Has F1 fuse blown?
There may have been an input power overload or a short in the convection fan.
YES
Has F2 fuse blown?
There was a electrical overload problem with one of the following parts: ignitor, auger motor, high limit switch, or exhaust blower.

UncleAnthony said:
Best to pick up a box of fuses as well as a surge protector.......

Agreed. And as for the surge protector, don't get one of those cheapy computer power strips that claim to have surge protection built in....most of them are junk.

Spend some $$ for a good one. Your stove was expensive....spend some $$ to protect it.

Well, I went to the hardware store and got the fuses but forgot the surge protecters. I put the fuse in and it ran fine with the exception of the convection blower sounding "tired" and whining slightly. Might have to replace that before too long. Might be the culprit...

UncleAnthony said:
Heaterhunter,

I found below info for the evolution on enviro website. Is your control board not a DHC2000, that would
explain one fuse. The Evolution fs3000 control board shows one fuse that controls all functions.
Most likely is was power surge. Best to pick up a box of fuses as well as a surge protector.
Below is info that would prove helpful if fuse blows again.

CIRCUIT BOARD FUSES:
This is for the DHC2000 Boards only as the later models have only one fuse that control all functions.
F1 is the fuse to the inside of the circuit board controls.
F2 fuse closest fuse to the outside edge of the circuit board controls.

For DHC2000 board:
Has F1 fuse blown?
There may have been an input power overload or a short in the convection fan.
YES
Has F2 fuse blown?
There was a electrical overload problem with one of the following parts: ignitor, auger motor, high limit switch, or exhaust blower.

I just replaced my circuit board this year so I must have the fs3000 because I have looked over the circuit board and wiring for an inline fuse and can't find one anywhere... One fuse I do believe. I'll try and dig up the old board and take a pic of the two next to each other for the next guy. Thanks for the input.

Heaterhunter said:
Well, I went to the hardware store and got the fuses but forgot the surge protecters. I put the fuse in and it ran fine with the exception of the convection blower sounding "tired" and whining slightly. Might have to replace that before too long. Might be the culprit...

Thats great ! Glad its up and running. You may want to buy (or fix) that convection blower soon as it may be drawing
too many amps and blow the fuse again. Thanks for the update on your circuit board.

Found my old circuit board. Here's a Pic of the differences. The pic to the left is the single fuse model(the one I installed this fall) and the pic to the right is the old board these enviro's were fitted with that I had to replace(fuses on the bottom left). Single fuse on the new and 2 fuses on the old board. Thanks for the info Uncle! This is why I enjoy this forum...

Attachments

• DSC00528.jpg
    DSC00528.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 696
Heaterhunter,

Yep, this is why I enjoy this forum too. Your Pics are good.

You may want to put that old board in ESD bag (electrostatic discharge bag) , (maybe pickup at radio shack
or electronic shop), so if need be you could swap some components in future if new board has issues.

At a glance, the transformer and relays are probably the same...most likely other components are swappable too.

Oh btw, you said the convection blower sounds tired and whiney.... Would cleaning and lubing
help that ? Don't know if yours is no-lube (found mine is). Mine whined a bit last year,
I cleaned it with shop vac, and put a few drops of 3-in-1 oil in (even though no-lube).
that seemed to help alot.
Jtakeman here has good posts on lubing .
Good luck !

The owners manual says it can be lubed with 2 oiling holes but I've had the blower removed and in my hands, cleaned it all up with air compresser and still couldn't find the holes so I just put some 3-in-1 on the exposed portions of the common shaft to the squirrel cages. Dunno what else to do... Am I missing the oiling holes?

I looked at manual also, says lube holes every six months, great where are they !!

Yes holes are difficult to find. Could not find any documentation pointing to them.

You may want to repost stating your stove and ask where the convection blower lube holes are.

In pictures I have seen here, the holes should be on inside side of motor up from the shaft somewhat.

If you find them and lube, the whiney sound should disappear quickly.

I believe your right. It's probably what the doctor ordered to fix the noise but I don't see them. I might repost with some pics and see how it goes. Does your Maxx convection blower call to be oiled or is it a closed bearing system?

The lube ports on the blower motors sometimes have a cap plugging them that needs to be removed.

Make certain you are using the correct oil or that will cause problems as well.

The motor should have somewhere on the plate what to use for oil, if not then the motor/blower manufacturer is the place to find out.

My owners manual says "Only the convection blower motor (on the right side of the stove) will require lubrication. The convection motor has two lubrication holes on it. Use two (2) drops of SAE 20 light oil to lubricate every six (6) months. Excess oil may damage the motor. The exhaust blower’s motor has sealed bearings, DO NOT lubricate this motor. Check gaskets and replace if needed." Can't find these lube holes. I'll post some pics of the fans and motor.

Good to know. This way I won't go out an buy another $7 can of oil. What about Marvels Mystery oil? Is that a similar weight oil?

Heaterhunter said:
Good to know. This way I won't go out an buy another $7 can of oil. What about Marvels Mystery oil? Is that a similar weight oil?

I don't know.

The only reason I knew about the 3 in 1 Blue and White being SAE 20 non detergent is because I've used it for decades on other high rpm electric motors.

Heaterhunter said:
I believe your right. It's probably what the doctor ordered to fix the noise but I don't see them. I might repost with some pics and see how it goes. Does your Maxx convection blower call to be oiled or is it a closed bearing system?
Heaterhunter,
Nope, the Maxx says it is no-lube, I kinda guessed where the ports might be (holes) and dropped
two drops of 3n1 oil in. That seemed to help with intermittent squeal that was going on.

Most likely port holes on your blower are on top, so you should not have to pull blower.
With your posted pictures I am sure someone here can tell where the ports are.

Just went to Lowes , picked up two ton of Fireside ultra's for $210 / ton ,sure beats oil price.
Good luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.