Enviro Kodiak 1700 Insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingquad

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2010
Pennsylvania
First off, I just want to thank everyone who contributes to this site. I would never have been able to do this without all the info here.

Now to the pics. First off, this is a basement install in our family/tv room into a 21 ft. interior masonry chimney with clay tile liner. My basement is finished, but the half the insert sits in is poorly insulated.

This summer I had my chimney swept and inspected and was told by the sweep that I'd have no problem installing an insert. My firebox dimensions left me with the ability to install a medium sized insert. I talked to several shops/installers. I narrowed my choice down to the Pacific Energy Super, Regency I2400, and the Lopi 1750i. I had a Lopi installer at the house who tried to talk me out of a wood burner and into a ventless gas log setup. My I.D. of my flue is 6.5x10.5. He said I would have ovalize to get it down and that it might not work. I honestly think he was afraid to go up on my clay tile roof. Every installer said a block off plate was unnecessary, although a couple said they would do it.

I decided after reading some of BrotherBart's (THANKS) posts on a 5.5 liner. I decided that this is would be the route that I would choose and decided to do a self install. I decided to go with the Super insert and began calling around for prices. I called a shop that told me they weren't stocking PE anymore and had switched to Enviro. They were still able to sell and service PE products though. I decided to take a look at the Enviro and liked the low height and the E-Z flue connector that made the flue connection very simple from inside the stove.

First, the before pic. I'll break this up into several posts.

Attachments

• IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 728
I needed to extend my hearth to meet the 18 inches to combustibles. This is ceramic tile laid on hardibacker on a slab floor. This still hasn't been finished, but will be completed in a few days. It still needs grout and the wood border laid down.

Attachments

• IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 660
I had my liner kit delivered from chimney liner depot and my insert delivered from the shop I purchased it from(Daniel's Run Energy in Washington PA). Began by cutting out most of my damper and creating a template for my block off plate

Attachments

• IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 618
Then I went to work with an air shear, nibbler, tin snips, and benders.

Attachments

• IMG_0277.jpg
    IMG_0277.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 644
Now I had to wait around for the ice to melt off the roof. I ordered a pulling cone from rockford chimney, but it wouldn't fit down my chimney. I had an idea to use strips of sheet metal screwed into the liner with an ibolt attached to pull it down. I had been doing some construction on the other side of my basement, and a bunch of scrap metal stud pieces. My buddy went to work with some tin snips and a few minutes later I had my pulling cone

Attachments

• IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 670
I made a 48x48in. square frame out of 2x4's with an ibolt in each end. I rachet strapped that around the chimney and laid a piece of 2inch pinkboard foam so that I could stand on the roof without braking any tiles. I then took my safety harness for hunting in a tree stand and hooked it into one of the ibolts on the frame. My friend and I then ran the liner down the chimney. This took us about 5 minutes, which I was thrilled with. I then went downstairs and packed the firebox with roxul about where the blockoff plate would sit.

Attachments

• IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 648
Then I installed a cut-to-fit piece of roxul and my block off plate. I used high temp silicone around the B.O. plate. I also installed the stove adapter and EZ flue connector.

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 668
  • IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 675
Installed the stove, connected the liner, then installed the terra cotta top cap and insulated up top. The next morning I fired it up and started my series of break in fires.

Attachments

• IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 731
It's taken a few days, but I'm starting to get it dialed in. This thing is a beast. Gotta let it eat. Thanks again. I'll post another pic once the grout and border is done

Attachments

• IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 638
I really like that 1700 insert. Wanted one but the supposed to be dealer was a dork.

Excellent install my friend.

Thanks BrotherBart. Like I said, your posts about 5.5 inch liner were very helpful. The wife and I are very happy to finally have a warm basement. It's in a 400 sqft. room and it will easily blast us out. I wish I could have got it in sooner, but that just means I've got more wood left over for next year.

Very nice job! And you saved a TON of $$$ by not having "them" do it.
AFAIK, the Enviro's are a nice, heavy built product.

Status
Not open for further replies.