Enviro Milan Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nedeveritt

Dec 13, 2010
Bel Air, MD
First off, I'd like to start off with a huge "thank you" for such a wonderful forum. The wealth of information here is tremendous. My project benefited greatly from all the lessons learned posted here, and gave me the confidence to tackle this myself (while saving several hundred dollars in installation costs).

After years of suffering from cold smelly drafts from our wood burning fireplace, we decided to convert to a pellet insert. Here's a quick summary of my project, along with some pics. In all, it took me about 2 nights of prep work, and a long day for the install.

We got the Enviro Milan through a reputable local dealer. Liked the simple looks, big glass, and seemed to be well build.
We saved a couple hundred dollars getting the chimney liner through Chimney Liner Depot. Very fast shipping, and free.
The article on making a block-off plate was very helpful. Invested in a pneumatic nibbler, made for quick work.
Lined the firebox with Roxul Rockboard 60, Mineral Wool Board. Easy to work with, and non-combustible.
Used a length of 3" pipe to accommodate the stove and damper opening, then transitioned to 4".
Siliconed some strips of scrap sheetmetal to the fireplace floor as sliders under the insert feet, made sliding it over the brick floor much easier.

Installing the block-off plate and insulating the firebox was a big effort, but in the end, well worth the investment of time and materials. We have zero draft and zero smell.

We are very much enjoying the warmth and ease of use of a pellet insert.

Thanks for looking, and thanks again for all the great info on this site.

Ned

Attachments

• IMG_6150.jpg
    IMG_6150.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1983.jpg
    IMG_1983.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_6155.jpg
    IMG_6155.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_6158.jpg
    IMG_6158.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_6160.jpg
    IMG_6160.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_6165.jpg
    IMG_6165.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_6166.jpg
    IMG_6166.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_6170.jpg
    IMG_6170.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 329
Welcome to the forum, lots of good information here and friendly people to talk with too. Very nice job on your insert, Im sure you're going to be enjoying it and the heat for a long time. Also good job with the block off plate, I did the same thing on mine using a large sheet of aluminum and fitted it in then silicone sealed it in place, no smells, no cold air comes down. Enjoy your stove... thanks for posting the pics too, we love to see pictures...

Welcome to the forums! Alot to be learned here! Enjoy the heat!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.