EPA-APPROVED WOOD BOILER

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

titan

Minister of Fire
Mar 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
aliant
I met a rep. at a local home show this past weekend who told me of a new,efficient wood boiler with 3-pass design.The manufacturer is european "Biasi".He claims it is epa approved but I didn't see any efficiency ratings or emissions figures.Has anyone heard of these and is an EPA wood-boiler as rare as I think it is?

EPA boilers are almost unheard of for a number of reasons. The EPA standards are set up for ONLY room heaters, and all the ranges of BTU, etc. are set up with that in mind.

There is now a voluntary standard for outdoor type boilers which takes into account the larger size of central heating units.

A number of Wood Burning boilers, such as the Tarm and New Horizons, pass a number of standards in Europe and I'm fairly certain that they would exceed these new standards with ease.

Craig, this unit is a residential-indoor wood boiler,that's why the claimed EPA approval surprised me.I'll do some digging, see if I can't find some more info on it.

I think probably what he either said or intended to say is that if EPA listed wood-fired boilers, which I don't think they do, this one would pass. That's what the people who sell Tarms and EKOs always say, and I have no reason to doubt that it's true. I don't think either of those boilers are UL listed, either. I know the EKOs aren't and I can't find any mention of it on the Tarm website.

As I mentioned, EPA makes stoves burn at really low rates like 10,000 BTU/HR, which is hardly needed in most central systems. The 2000 series Tarm burns super-clean, as I remember something like 1-4 grams per hour - BUT, at 100,000+ BTU. That makes it as efficient as any woodstove on the market - btu for btu .

When I sold them they were all labeled and listed - usually to certain accepted CSA (canadian) and ETLM (Energy Testing Lab of Maine) standards....

I have a 10 minute video of me promoting TARM boilers that I have to digitize and put online someday - it is quite hilarious (certain parts), as I had an actor help me...and the actor was really good....like a "Grizzly Adams" guy!

I'm going downstairs now to dig it up and get started....stay tuned....

Titan said:
'The manufacturer is european "Biasi". '

Dollars to doughnuts he meant BAXI, which is the Italian group which owns Tarm
and many other heating products companies. So my guess is he was talking about a Tarm
anyway.

The company name is BIASI-they are an Italian boilerheating product manufacturer.I just found the brochure on the boiler;it states "ETL pending" but the rep said EPA-approved-oops.

Cool. I thought the guy might have been botching the pronunciation.

I looked on several of their European websites but couldn't find any mention of solid fuel
boilers. Do you have a link?

I can't find any mention of this boiler on the net.It is distributed by Quincy Hydronic Technologies-at least on the brochure.

Burn-1 said:
Titan said:
'The manufacturer is european "Biasi". '

Dollars to doughnuts he meant BAXI, which is the Italian group which owns Tarm
and many other heating products companies. So my guess is he was talking about a Tarm
anyway.

NO; the italians make sum of the best boilers in the world ! Baxi is Norwegian not italian

here is an other italian company , it called Mascoli there web site is Mascoli.com

Just as a "sidebar note":

I find it interesting (not to appear to pick on Web)...That The original post was on a "Wood Boiler" with no mention of being outside...and Web chimed in on the "Outdoor boilers". Any mere mention of the words (Wood & Boiler)...and people automatically seem to picture the outdoor version...perhaps a little off topic...but it seems funny how everybody, overall conjures this up in their mind...I think for the next 50 years or so OWB's are going to be somewhere between POS cars (like the 'Ford Pinto', Chevy Vega, AMC Pacer/Gremlin, Corvair...or any other 'less than successfully marketed auto') and Chernobyl Generating Station...

Like I said not to pick on 'Web'...because "At a quick glance" I too thought this post was about OWB's at first.

Or the old Chrysler "K" cars, like the Plymouth Reliant. We used to get those for company cars. I drove three of them about 50,000 miles each, and they were ready for the junkyard. You rarely see any around anymore, at least not up here in the rust belt. As I recall, the mufflers needed annual replacement.

Craig wasn't picking on OWBs or singling them out, keyman. He was just making the point that the ONLY current U.S. standard for wood boiler emissions is the voluntary one agreed to by the OWB mfgs.

Those Chrysler"K" cars had nothing on the 85 Hyundai Pony!

C'mon Elk-your short-selling Bic lighters. They never smoked half as much as the original Pony!

keyman512us said:
Just as a "sidebar note":

I find it interesting (not to appear to pick on Web)...That The original post was on a "Wood Boiler" with no mention of being outside...and Web chimed in on the "Outdoor boilers". Any mere mention of the words (Wood & Boiler)...and people automatically seem to picture the outdoor version...perhaps a little off topic...but it seems funny how everybody, overall conjures this up in their mind...I think for the next 50 years or so OWB's are going to be somewhere between POS cars (like the 'Ford Pinto', Chevy Vega, AMC Pacer/Gremlin, Corvair...or any other 'less than successfully marketed auto') and Chernobyl Generating Station...

Like I said not to pick on 'Web'...because "At a quick glance" I too thought this post was about OWB's at first.

NOT sure what you meant by that . But incase you misunderstood me , A gasification boiler is a wood boiler that is down draft boiler , witch burns the wood gasses . but you probably new that right .

alfio said:
aren't gasification boilers e.p.a. approved ?

I don't believe the EPA has a procedure in place for certifying boilers. None of the gasification units I've looked at are EPA approved, although the European ones do have certifications that are as good as or better than what the EPA regs would be, if they had them.

Eric Johnson said:
alfio said:
aren't gasification boilers e.p.a. approved ?

I don't believe the EPA has a procedure in place for certifying boilers. None of the gasification units I've looked at are EPA approved, although the European ones do have certifications that are as good as or better than what the EPA regs would be, if they had them.

Hi Eric, your right , most of them are european . There is one that's made in the US , it's called altenateheatingsystems.

Greenwood Furnace, Black Bear and Seaton mad in USA as well.

BeGreen said:
Greenwood Furnace, Black Bear and Seaton mad in USA as well.

Hi begreen, you're right those are made in the U.S. but I don't think they be classified under the gasification category .

Status
Not open for further replies.