EPA Emmissions Standards- July 1990

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
Hello. I took the advice handed out here and got rid of a "slammer" wood insert I started out with. I just picked up a Jotul C450 Kennebec. It is stamped with manufacture date of 10/2005, and July 1990 EPA emissions compliance. Question- have the standards been updated since July 1990? We have burn restrictions in my area, and some days are limited to EPA certified wood burning appliances. reading lots of good things about this unit, hope have a nice burn it it soon. It's got to be better than the open fireplace for smoke, I would think. Also looking for info on how to install it, i don't understand how to remove damper, or demo smoke shelf. I have tools and lots of building work experience. I could probably handle it with the right info. Thank you

Hello Mr A.

If you are the least bit handy, and it sounds like you are, you should be able to handle the install in a fireplace. I'm just finishing mine up and have been documenting it as I go. Here is the link to the thread and you will find several other links to helpful threads within it. Hope that helps.

I'm going to let the experts address the EPA stuff but I've seen a couple PDF files on the net that list all of the Certified stoves. If I can find the file, I'll post it.

Good luck.

Oh yea, the link. :red:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/84695/

July, 1990 was the kickoff date for Phase I EPA emissions standards. Stoves sold after that date were limited to 8.5 grams/hr (non-catalytic) or 5.5 grams/hr (catalytic).

Phase II standards went into effect in July, 1992. All woodstoves sold after that date were limited to 7.5 grams/hr (non-cat) or 4.1 grams/hr (cat).

thechimneysweep said:
July, 1990 was the kickoff date for Phase I EPA emissions standards. Stoves sold after that date were limited to 8.5 grams/hr (non-catalytic) or 5.5 grams/hr (catalytic).

Phase II standards went into effect in July, 1992. All woodstoves sold after that date were limited to 7.5 grams/hr (non-cat) or 4.1 grams/hr (cat).

I don't understand what the criteria and regulations are but aren't there currently being built and sold 'Exempt' stoves that don't have to meet those standards?

Mr A said:
Hello. I took the advice handed out here and got rid of a "slammer" wood insert I started out with. I just picked up a Jotul C450 Kennebec. It is stamped with manufacture date of 10/2005, and July 1990 EPA emissions compliance. Question- have the standards been updated since July 1990? We have burn restrictions in my area, and some days are limited to EPA certified wood burning appliances. reading lots of good things about this unit, hope have a nice burn it it soon. It's got to be better than the open fireplace for smoke, I would think. Also looking for info on how to install it, i don't understand how to remove damper, or demo smoke shelf. I have tools and lots of building work experience. I could probably handle it with the right info. Thank you

EPA usa link http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/monitoring/programs/caa/whcert.html
Scroll down to list at bottom of page.

My insert has a stamp of October 2005, wondering why it says 1990 cert. on it and not 1992? Either way, being made in 2005, it must be compliant? got the stupid electric heat pump at 63 and have to turn it down to 50 overnight, we have a freeze warning!

Status
Not open for further replies.