EPA Exempt?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCorcoran

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2010
Richmond, VA
I was reading Home Depot's writeup on a U.S. Stove model, which stated that the stove is EPA exempt. What makes a stove exempt and what are the ramifications? I've just been assuming that recently-built woodstoves must be EPA approved.

Thanks...I read it, but not sure I understand. It almost sounds as though they exempted real inefficient, air-gulping stoves that pollute a lot. If so, why? I thought the purpose of the regulations was to reduce pollution.

For example, why would this U.S. Stove be exempt?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs..._-202398320-_-N&locStoreNum=4632&marketID=176

It looks almost exactly like the one that costs $30 less, but which is EPA certified.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs..._-202398319-_-N&locStoreNum=4632&marketID=176

Why would a reputable manufacturer make a smoke dragon?

From what I understand the 35-1 was put in place because they didn't want to be burned at the stake for trying to outlaw open fireplaces. Some of the steel stove makers that sell in the mass market probably had to build exempt stoves to compete with Vogelzang who ran through the loophole at a dead run.

The non-EPA stoves are offered in Home Depot here . I assume state law does not apply to barns or outbuildings where you might use a stove for short periods of time, unlike how you might in a home.

Most pellet stoves are on the EPA exempt list because they have a greater than 35-1 air ratio so they are not required to be EPA tested if the manufacturer chooses not to. So it is not accurate to assume that a exempt stove is necessarily a smoke dragon. Because they cannot be choked down some burn within EPA limits for partiulates. They just eat a lot of wood doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.