EPA wood burning survey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

webfish

Hearth.com LLC
Staff member
Oct 18, 2013
Minnesota
The EPA and manufacturers are working on new testing methods and want new data to help make decisions . You also have a chance on winning a $100 Amazon gift card. You will not be contacted in any way whatsoever from your participation in this survey, unless you are an Amazon gift card winner.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020
Madison, WI
Usually I never respond to these surveys but thought this was really cool that there is actually a survey out there asking about wood burning! Plus being entered to win the gift card is a nice incentive for 5 min of your time. I thought the last question on the survey was really good, "what advice would you give to someone who is thinking of burning wood". I selected the option that said "gather your wood supply and C/S/S at least 6 months in advance of burning it". Honestly I think that is the best advice to give someone who is new to the world of wood burning. It doesn't matter right away what you want to burn wood for (heating 24/7 vs occasional ambient fires) getting some supply of wood cut and drying is the process I feel takes the most time out of all the wood burning processes we do. Buying your wood stove, wood insert, fireplace, etc goes pretty fast (even if you spend weeks researching stuff). And installing a proper hearth and a proper chimney system can again not take all that long compared to needing firewood to be dry. If someone did all those other things first but had no firewood, they're going to be entering their 1st burn season likely using firewood they bought from a seller and 90% chance it isn't dry enough to burn and it's not going to be a whole lot of fun trying to heat with wet firewood.

For me, the answer to the last question has to do with buying from a reputable dealer. In my area, many people have these outdoor stoves, but there are very few people who will work on my brand of stove and so far the service company has proven to be very unreliable. You will have issues with any outdoor furnace and it really sucks when it is 20 degree's outside and the darn things quits working properly. I have learned quite a bit recently on making repairs myself (I am a maintenance supervisor by profession), so I don't have to rely on outside sources (it also saves $).

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
There are several right answers to the last question.

PaulOinMA

Minister of Fire
Oct 20, 2018
MA
Yes. I picked the one on splitting and stacking the wood.

Reactions: SpaceBus

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
They're not gonna get an overall picture of wood-burning folk to make "assumptions as to how to consumers use their wood heaters" by surveying a bunch of wood heat nerds like us. ==c

Reactions: andym

kborndale

Burning Hunk
Oct 9, 2008
LI
I went with getting your wood split and stacked as well, while every choice was important, dry wood is the most important.

Reactions: SpaceBus

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Didn't that option say something like 6 months in advance? That would work for ash and doug fir, but would not help much for oak or hickory.

BIGChrisNH

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2015
New Hampshire
That was a fun distraction over morning coffee. It’s so humid in southern nh right now I think my wood is actually gaining moisture

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
The last question, I went with bring your stove up to temp before reducing the air flow.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
The last question, I went with bring your stove up to temp before reducing the air flow.
Same here . . . as mentioned there were several good answers, but the answer I really wanted to put down was "Read Hearth.com threads for at least a month previous to buying or installing your woodstove." :)

Actually, truthfully, the answer I really wanted to put down would be "Properly install, maintain and learn how to correctly operate your stove."

webfish

Hearth.com LLC
Staff member
Oct 18, 2013
Minnesota
The winners were drawn. One Hearth.com user won. Thanks For particpating , we had a great response.

The winners are:

Jeff ZIP 02822

Holly ZIP 10941

Tom ZIP 01887

Ann ZIP 99709

Peter ZIP 55008

Reactions: firefighterjake
Status
Not open for further replies.