Equinox Newbie Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Well, after much scrutiny and second guessing myself, I installed the damper 14" above my stove. It seems to have eliminated the extreme draft I was experiencing. I loaded up last night at 9pm. room temp was 68. Woke up at 6am, temp was 64 and I still had 1/4 log still glowing in the back. When I say loading up, I stacked 5 decent size logs. Now I also sealed the stovepipe connection as instructed here and also reinstalled the door gasket that had come off(only re-glued). All whistling has been eliminated and I don't get the bonfire effect I had been getting. I want to thank all who gave me such insight last week as I tried to get schooled on the tricks of the trade. It has been immeasurable. I do have to remember to open damper before I open the door, I have forgotten and got a little smoke in the eye.

Glad to hear your success story. Just watch for overfire w/ that short stack... and you should learn soon enough to always open the damper before reloading ;)

Sorry to hear about the smoke in the eye. Glad to hear you got your burn time up.

Status
Not open for further replies.