Equipment for moving pellet bags

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HollowHill

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2009
Central NY
Hi, My 77 year old mother uses a pellet stove as her main source of heat. I'd like to get her something to help with the moving of the bags of pellets. I'm thinking of something along the lines of a dolly. She does have to go up one step to get into the house. Is there anything that works particularly well with pellet bags? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Maybe put a toy chest or something, close by the stove, that will hold a week or two supply, that you could fill for her, or a neighbor. She could just use a scoop or coffee can to fill stove as needed.

Offjack, she does have a 25 gallon crock by the stove. My idea had been exactly as you suggested, I go over once a day to fill the crock and she scoops from there. As per usual, she doesn't want to do that. She prefers to lug in the bag before I can get there and dump it directly into the hopper, bypassing me and the crock all together! I'm figuring the best I can hope for is to get her something to assist with the lugging in before she comes to grief.

Ya, Mom's can be stubborn. Well how about two or three 55 gallon drums in the garage that you fill for her? I don't know that that is a good idea though, kind of a long stretch to the bottom of the drum. Maybe cut them length wise, like a trough? Just a thought.

SmokeyTheBear said:
A vacuum delivery system and bulk storage.

x2. American Biomass, (woodpellets.com) had a very interesting stove-side hopper they were displaying at the HeatNE conference last year, perfect. Though it would cost $1300 to install it. Back to the drawing board! Something simple can be done using the same concept with a vacuum.

look for something with wheels on it, the first thing that comes to mind is those coolers with wheels on one end and a large folding handle.

HollowHill said:
Hi, My 77 year old mother uses a pellet stove as her main source of heat. I'd like to get her something to help with the moving of the bags of pellets. I'm thinking of something along the lines of a dolly. She does have to go up one step to get into the house. Is there anything that works particularly well with pellet bags? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would suggest an "undocumented alien". Might be a few other things he could help with, too. Shovel snow, etc. I'm old, too, sure wish I could git me a dolly to help with haulin' my pellets, or at least the ashes.

A great suggestion Hoss for help around the compound. Just think, alien help from another planet!

I use a convertible dolly that can lay down flat on four wheels or stand up on two. When laying down I can easily stack 10 bags on mine. I also have one step going into my house from where the pellets are stored in the driveway so I just built a little ramp to go into the house. This works really well for me as I can move an entire pallet in no time at all. You should be able to find a convertible dolly anywhere normal ones are sold.

I can't count the number of injuries I've seen because ladies in their 70's fall over and get hurt because they thought they could do things the way they always have. Unfortunately it often is a broken hip that convinces them to change their ways. We all have a right to be at risk, a right to make bad choices. If she won't change her ways for her own safety, try to get her to make changes for your sake. Of course the right thing to do is to have the pellets handy to the stove so that she is using a scoop. If I were you, I would just lug a few bags in and leave them there. Do it over and over unless she shows you the door.
Baring that, first, get rid of the one step if you can. A ramp is a good option. The rise should be one foot of length per inch of rise. If you can't do that, add another step that is half the height of the single step. Next get a cart with large wheels. Big wheels pull much easier and move better over obstacles such as stairs. The smallest Garden Way cart is a good option. if you balance the load, the wt is all over the wheels, and it doesn't tip over. She'll be pulling, but not lifting. Where ever she keeps her bags of pellet, keep a few bags up on a table. That way she will not have to bend to pick up a bag. She can just walk off with one, or pull one over into a cart. Oh, yes, one other things. Encourage good footwear.
Good luck!

I bought a Rubbermaid #4401 4 wheel "Trolley" with folding handle which is rated for a 500 pound load.

( There are less expensive, lighter duty models.)

I use it to move pellet bags from the bulkhead to where they will be stacked in the basement.

Rugged, pushes easily, and the folding handle makes it easy to store.

I move 6 to 8 bags at a time, but an older person could easily transport one or two bags at a time.

Ranger

HollowHill said:
Offjack, she does have a 25 gallon crock by the stove. My idea had been exactly as you suggested, I go over once a day to fill the crock and she scoops from there. As per usual, she doesn't want to do that..........

I think this is the best idea. Yes, mom's can be stubborn, but if I were you, I'd just go there and set this up and let her try it......much safer for her than any of the other ideas (except the very $$ vacuum systems).

CanadaClinker made this last year and i love it....maybe buy something similar?

Attachments

• photo_14611.jpg
    photo_14611.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 594

Attachments

• yhst-66244119392384_2132_2496425.jpg
    yhst-66244119392384_2132_2496425.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 556
For something light like a single bag one of those cheap little dollies you can get at Home Depot and such. Not the heavy duty jobs either but the el cheapo version that sells for 30 bucks or less. I have one of those and it will handle about anything that will fit on it with ease. For someone of limited strength it would be easy to pull up one step with just a single bag on it without the bag falling off. Even it it doesn't work out so well for you it is worth the money for all it's other uses around the house.

I bought the "cheapo" dolly at HD for $29.99. It only holds one bag, and I have 4 steps to go up. Works like a charm. PITA hauling one bag at a time, but I just can't carry the bags either.

If Mom insists on doing it herself, maybe this would be a good thing to get for her.

It's ashame they don't make 20 lb bags as an option.

Yep, DB, that would be nice. BUT would mean Double the hauling.

I think this is the best idea. Yes, mom’s can be stubborn, but if I were you, I’d just go there and set this up and let her try it…...much safer for her than any of the other ideas (except the very $$ vacuum systems).

CanadaClinker made this last year and i love it….maybe buy something similar?
Image Attachments
photo_14611.jpg

What about an old cedar chest? Would that work? Or would it contaminate the pellets?

Just a "silly woman" thought.

twojrts said:
I think this is the best idea. Yes, mom’s can be stubborn, but if I were you, I’d just go there and set this up and let her try it…...much safer for her than any of the other ideas (except the very $$ vacuum systems).

CanadaClinker made this last year and i love it….maybe buy something similar?
Image Attachments
photo_14611.jpg

What about an old cedar chest? Would that work? Or would it contaminate the pellets?

Just a "silly woman" thought.

That'd work just fine for storage.

An old steamer trunk as well.

nosaudioil said:
A great suggestion Hoss for help around the compound. Just think, alien help from another planet!

Where on the coast, nosaudioil? Between Belfast and Bucksport, myself.

Happy Thanksgiving all! You too Hoss.
I'll just be eating my self into a coma somewhere between Belfast and Camden(Epcot)

There is probably a way to modify the Kan Burn or Shur Kleen corn and pellet cleaners to move material as well as clean it. One of these is home made using a 6 hp shop vac. With a little more plumbing it could probably handle moving pellets to the 25 gallon crock. Here are a few links. This is mostly for corn but may be adaptable for pellets? With a little imagination I guess the sky is the limit, or your pocket book book, whichever comes first.

http://forum.iburncorn.com/wiki/index.php/Vacuum_based_systems

http://forum.iburncorn.com/wiki/index.php/Venturi

Oh yeh one other alternative that comes to mind is to put a ramp over the step and get her a Hoveround. She could ride out and grab a bag and ride back in, but Iget the feeling she wouldn't want a Hoveround.

I guess another alternative would be to save the bags from a previous pallet and when you get a new pallet pour 20lbs in the previous bags and tie off or use a seal a meal to seal them. This is what I intend to do with corn when I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.