ESP probe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODNUT358

Aug 1, 2008
RI
Is it recommended to remove the esp probe and clean it in a Harman xxv stove?Thanks.

I have had my harman 7 yrs and have never taken mine out. you can see it from inside the stove, and i just vac around it when cleaning the stove about once per month.

"The ESP is a tiny thermistor located in the exhaust stream. The probe changes it's thermal resistance based on minute changes in temperature, which is monitored by the circuit board and used to determine the need for changes in the burn rate to meet the temperature demand."

As you can see from the above quote from the manual this probe responds to minute changes in temperature, so if it is dirty it will not respond to these changes very well. I plan to clean the ESP probe in my stove after burning each ton while I am cleaning the exhaust chamber and paddle fan. At the very least, I would clean it at the end of each season.

I have the Harman P35i insert and it shows how to remove it and clean it in the manual. It is as simple as removing a screw, pulling the probe out and wiping it clean with a soft cloth and some glass cleaner or some rubbing alcohol. Mine can't be seen from inside the stove, as it is fairly high in the exhaust path (see pic). Since mine is an insert I need to pull the stove out of the fireplace opening to access it.

Attachments

• ESP_Probe.jpg
    ESP_Probe.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 285
Status
Not open for further replies.