Esse 300 coal burning problems!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pointbreaker

May 18, 2008
Hopefully i've posted this in the correct forum first time posting apologies in advance. I purchased a Esse 300 recently and i've been having problems with the glass blackening. I spoke to the manufacturers and they said burn anthracite but it is still not burning perfectly clean and it still is black on it. Also once lit it is hard to keep the fire going. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome, is this in the UK? That is a very handsome stove. Hopefully Corie and other folks with coal burning experience will drop in on this thread. It takes a hot fire to keep coal burning. From the description it sounds like the fire is not getting enough bottom air to get and stay hot, but it's best to let the coal experts cover this in more detail.

You also might want to visit this anthracite coal burning forum for more answers:
http://nepacrossroads.com/

Firestarter with regard to your Esse 300 and the glass getting black. I have had an Esse 300 for about a year now. The glass gets black and sooty burning coal although running it with the spinwheel fully open helps. With Antharcite the glass stays fairly clean. I usually clean the glass after every 'burn' of the fire. I use wheel acid [Renault alloy wheel cleaner] on a paper towel and I wear rubber gloves as it is strong stuff
My problem with the fire was it does not burn wood so well. The air control allows air through the bottom of the grate for burning coal but there is only the gap at the top of the glass for the airwash of the glass providing air to the top of the fire which is apparently what you need to burn wood. I took the bottom grate out of the stove and decided if I could lift the grate it would allow air toward the bottom of the glass and also would make the grooves in the rear lining plate access the air coming into the stove from the spinwheel. I have achieved this by simply putting two 8mm nuts [as in nuts and bolts] on the lip that the grate rests on at the front and two 8mm nuts on the lip that the grate rests on at the back [on the rear lining plate]. I put all the lining plates back making sure the rear lining plate is snug against the back of the fire by fitting the front 'fuel bar' properly. The liners do not fit quite as snug now but the stove is now performing a lot better burning wood and the glass does not seem to get as dirty.
In fact I think the stove works better on all fuels now I have tried it with coal and the glass seems to stay a lot cleaner. But I think you will never get the glass to stay really clean. I hope this has been of some use to you let me what you think if you try the mod. ta.

Status
Not open for further replies.