Aesthetic options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lowtech84

Aug 17, 2022
New York
I was wondering if anyone had ideas how I could hide or conceal exposed chimney liner?

Let me explain. I have a double sided open fireplace. Since moving into my home last fall there has been an older free standing woodstove sitting inside the opening so it was flush with one side of the firebox. The stove was connected to a black flex pipe/liner that went 1/2 way up the masonry chimney. At the top of the firebox a steel plate was fixed to the chimney with an opening cut for the liner to go up through.

After repairing the roof and chimney we have purchased a new EPA certified wood stove. The dealer recommended a new chimney liner as well. I agreed. We have ripped out the old stove and installed the new liner. I plan on having a new steel plate fabricated and reinserted at the top of the firebox.

Per the installer the plan is to connect the liner directly to woodstove. However I'll be stuck looking at the ugly chimney liner on back side of the wood stove.

The installer suggested spray painting the liner which I felt was more of a last resort. I was wondering if I could hide the liner inside black chimney pipe? I figure I could run it from the steel plate to the back of the woodstove.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Attached a couple pictures not sure if I'm explaining it correctly.

Thanks!
Nick

PXL_20220818_005628420.jpg PXL_20220818_005544691.jpg

We painted it black. Looked fine I thought.

8” stove pipe is my solution to hide my liner. It’s cheap and can be cut to size.

Or a wrought iron gate? And I forgot to mention, that fireplace is gorgeous
The previous owners left the fire screens so that will be covering the back end. Thanks here is picture of the whole setup, and the fireplace on the 2nd floor. They sold me on the place for sure.

IMG_20211220_081955.jpg PXL_20220818_112715256.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pictures, stunning to say the least, I did search for "wrought iron gate designs, there are some beautiful designs out there. I was just thinking, with one of them with a solid design piece right in front of the pipe to hide it