Eureka Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

agrossm

Dec 12, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I picked up 5 bags from HD ($4.98), they ordered 2 tons from another store as they do stock them. Anyway, went there yesterday and got the 5 and told the manager that if they burned ok I'd be back for another 45 (I only asked for 1 pallet). The manager told me he's been burning 2 tons a year for the past few years and that they were the best pellet he's found. Well, I wasn't sold on his word, he didn't even know what brand stove he had. So anyway, came home dumped a bag in the hopper, did a quick clean/vacuum on the stove and fired it up. At a heat range of 5 I wasn't to impressed. I let 'em burn all evening and at about 11 the fire went completely out. I was ready to go to bed so I scooped out the remaining Eureka's and dumped a bag of the Ozark Hardwood Products Pellets I've been burning. The stove wouldn't light and I wasn't getting any pellets to the burn pot, I said the hell w/ it and went to bed (I'm afraid to think of how much LP we used last night, it was 7*). This AM I scooped all the pellets from the hopper, pulled the upper auger motor off and the auger was locked up, so I worked it back and forth and vacuumed the auger tube and put it all back together. I'm wondering if it was the Eureka pellets or if it was a lack of maintenance; it's been a few weeks since I vacuumed out the hopper. The Eureka's also have a wet smell to them. I kinda think they smell like a new wet 2x4. What happens to pellets that have gotten wet? Will they burn? Does a high moisture content cause decreased heat output? I'm going to let the hopper empty and try them again later this evening.

As an aside, I have an old Building Automation controller I was thinking of setting up to log my stove. Would anyone be interested in knowing the on/off timing for the upper auger at various settings? Maybe this info is already available and I haven't seen it. I'd like to know so I can do a rough heat input/output calculation.

Sorry for the long post.

agrossm said:
What happens to pellets that have gotten wet? Will they burn? Does a high moisture content cause decreased heat output? I'm going to let the hopper empty and try them again later this evening.

When wet they usually expand some. They definetly will not burn as well as dry pellets will. Your fire could go out.

High moisture will reduce the overall heat output. This all depends on how wet they got.

Take them back and exchange for something else.

Left picture: Pellets on right got wet.

Attachments

• Damp bag.jpg
    Damp bag.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 583
  • Damp.jpg
    Damp.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 577
I burned two skids of Eurekas last year and my next ton will probably be the same... a fine pellet. But if they have gotten wet you can throw my review out the window...

Did you clean your vent pipe and do a COMPLETE ceaning after your first ton burned?

I also picked up a few bags at HD to test burn. Although the pellets seemed ok and didn't seem wet I had some issues. I tried burning them for 2 consecutive nights and the stove shut down each night. For some reason they jammed in my auger while the hopper was about 1/2 full or so. I cleaned the stove thoroughly and vacuumed out the hopper after the 1st night of problems. The unfortunate part of this is the pellets burned clean with little ash and the glass remained very clean. Unfortunately I will not be trying these pellets again due to constant jamming in the auger. BTW I have not had pellet jamming with any other pellet I have tried this season (Blazers, Armstrong, Okies and LG's).

packerfan said:
I didn't care much for the Eurekas when I tried them, but others seem to like em. I won't buy them again.

I have burned Eureka pellets. I bought some in the fall of 08 and they burned great, light in color and very little ash. Bought a ton in spring of 09 and when I went to burn them this winter they are TERRIBLE........... This years are dark brown in color, ie bark and sand. I called the dealer and they have had some complaints this year. He explained that I must have got the bottom of the pile of raw material which explains the bark and sand. They are taking back 26 bags and delivering 76 bags of Bear Mountain. Those will make me and my stove happy..........

Status
Not open for further replies.