Europe switches to coal from NG

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Its almost like Germany never stopped burning lignite! ;hm

Literally stuck between a rock and a hard place.

But if I were my decision in this scenario I would be burning coal too.

Looks like they'd be able to not turn off 3 reactors and possibly restart a few more. I bet they would have trouble finding staff though. I bet talent retired, moved away to other countries, etc.

Nuclear needs to be more than a transitional power source.
By transitional, I mean the current fission tech for the next 10-15 yrs. By then I hope that fusion power is a reality, and yes that would be long term.

Sure. However, I'm not holding my breath or betting on Fusion becoming a practical, commercial reality anytime even close to that soon.

As the joke goes 'Fusion is mere decades away...and always will be.'

Looks like they'd be able to not turn off 3 reactors and possibly restart a few more. I bet they would have trouble finding staff though. I bet talent retired, moved away to other countries, etc.
I’m all for nuclear power but I wonder if the politicians have the will to go backwards and restart them. Wonder if if the decommissioning process started and or what it would take to restart. There are going to be some chilly people on both sides of the pond this winter.

I’m all for nuclear power but I wonder if the politicians have the will to go backwards and restart them. Wonder if if the decommissioning process started and or what it would take to restart. There are going to be some chilly people on both sides of the pond this winter.
It will be a political challenge, but with the deteriorating situation in Ukraine, there is pressure to consider this.
In Japan, they have been restarting some of the plants already.

Reactions: EbS-P
The ones still running should be able to keep going without too much grief. The ones shut down… may not be able to be restarted for any number of reasons. But if they are able to restart some of them it’ll be some help.

How about the anti nuke people agree to keep their houses just above freezing in protest so there’s more than enough energy for the people who want to keep warm to do so. You can do it on the honor system.

Reactions: sloeffle and EbS-P